XBOX problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elliott Willschick, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I have not been on any marathon playing sessions but yesterday my system started to stutter when Halo was loading or at check points. Today I beat a level and it reset and said the disc was scratched or damaged. I only have Halo so I can't test it with any other games. Do you think I should return the system for another one?

Thanks

Ell

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Have you examined the underside of the disc closely for finger smudges or scratches? I had this happen on a gamecube game after my mother in law put it in for my kids.. she put her greasy thumbs all over the underside and it wouldn't play at all. A little cleaning (t-shirt rubbed from the center to the edge, never in a circular motion!) solved the problem completely.

3. Elliott Willschick

I did check the disc and there isn't one mark on it. I wasn't sure if the game was glitchy in the later levels, so that is why I posted here before going to the trouble of returning it. If it keeps happening by the weekend I think I'll get a new one.
    BTW was anyone a little scared when the opened their Xbox to find an extended warranty from Microsoft themselves? I feel really good that for another $50 they will repair the system for the next two years [​IMG]

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

5. Shane Eastridge

I had the exact same problem with my XBOX. [​IMG] It did the exact same thing on Halo the first time I took it out of the package. But my box also done it on other games as well. I exchanged mine but unfortunately have not been able to open it and check it out. [​IMG] If I were you I would exchange just for peace of mind. The thing that really sucks is that I was 2 levels away from beating Halo and half way into Max Payne. [​IMG] Oh well, I guess I'll have to start over.[​IMG]

6. Elliott Willschick

Since I'm back to work and school, I'm going to buy a mem card so I don't have to get back to where I am in Halo. Laziness at its best [​IMG]
    Shane, please update this thread when you try your new system.
    Jeremy, the last large purchase I made was my Toshiba RPTV and the store tried to sell me the extended warranty, I guess I'm a little out of touch.
    Thanks

7. JoelW

JoelW Stunt Coordinator

I also experienced this problem with my first XBox that I purchased. After going through tech support with Microsoft, I purchased a DVD lense cleaner. After using the lense cleaner, things seemed to be better, but the problem started acting up again.
    I then purchased SSX Tricky and put in the brand new game into the console. I could hear the drive spinning up and down, but the game wouldn't load, just kept giving me the "this disc is dirty or damaged" message.
    I called up Microsoft support again. They told me that the problem may be bad sectors on my hard drive, so I went and bought a memory card. We transferred all my saved games from the hard drive to the memory card, then performed a service code on the XBox that reformats and repartitions the hard drive. After this finished, the problem still existed. The support tech then told me my drive was bad and would need to be replaced.
    Their option was to send a prepaid shipping box to me, I would put my Xbox in the box and send it to them. About 5 or 6 business days later, I would get my XBox back. Well, not liking the idea of a "repaired" XBox, I just went out and bought another one and took the faulty one back to WalMart. The new one works like a champ, and I'm certainly happy now.

8. Elliott Willschick

The real pain in the ass is finding a cheap mem card, like a mad catz one. As soon as I get one I'll copy my saves and exchange the XB. Hopefully the new one will be fine. I bought it from Toys R Us so it would be easy to return if I needed to. The only embarassing thing is there were so many people when I bought it that the checkout guy didn't have time to disable all of the security tags to the alarm may go off when I walk in :b

9. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

Some other notable glitches, these either happened once or are very rare...

In NFL fever my team ALWAYS wanted to kick onside. At first I thought I selected the wrong formation but after scoring two more times I was positive I was selecting standard kick off. Ejected the game and reinserted and no problem. Almost like a typical windows glitch where you have to reboot the PC. Also lost sound once in this manner.

In HALO joystick two became the default joystick in a 1 player game, again saw this in fever once.

Not too concerned at this point...look at it like rebooting a PC to solve a problem that has no rhyme or reason why it occured in the first place.