XBox Power Button for Remote Control

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_Pierce, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Does anyone know if it is possible to control the power and eject buttons on the XBox via remote control? I know the Microsoft DVD kit does not have this feature, but do any 3rd party remotes?

This is kind of picky, but I use my XBox as the primary DVD player. I have a macro progammed into my Home Theater Master MX-500 remote control and would like to have the XBox turn on and eject the tray whenever I am ready to watch a movie.

Any suggestions?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, if it's not on the official remote the software has no ability to translate those commands

3. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Hmmmmmm, maybe those Linux guys can help me.[​IMG]

4. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

While I don't have an answer, that's not necessarily true. Most devices have remote codes not used on the original device remote. The trick is finding out what they are...

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Why do you need a power button anyways? You have to walk up to the machine to put the disc in anyways [​IMG]

6. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

well, the XB is not that great a player anyway, Why don't you just pick up a Pioneer or something for around $100? Better image quality and the happy macro stuff

8. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Actually, I find the XBox to be a pretty good player. The picture quality is much better than my old Pioneer and I can't tell any difference in the sound quality. I used to have a Pioneer and was pretty happy with it, but I really like the XBox much better. However, one of the main "reasons" I needed a new XBox was to upgrade to a better DVD player.[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with it and if I proposed that we needed a new DVD player, one of my "reasons" for getting an XBox would seem, well, kind of like a lie. Good suggestion, but not an option in this case.

I do plan to get a new DVD player once I get a progressive scan TV, but by that time, the XBox 7 will probably have progressive scan built in.[​IMG]

9. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a Pronto, or something like that (which you can program the codes into)?

I do not know if it is there, but I found on/off (descrete) codes for my receiver that were not in my original remote at http://www.remotecentral.com/

Also, try posting this question there, possibly someone there will know!

Good Luck!

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

You're saying that even if one buys the MicroShaft DVD-player kit the buyer still will not get basic dvd-player remote functionality of power on/off and eject?

Its one thing to nickle & dime your constituents but this is straight-forward raping the public! I am glad to know this now, as I didn't buy this kit (was about to). What a freaking waste of money.

I guess Bill Gates is completely clueless to the concept of what a remote is used for, which is to carry out activities from a-far. If I have to get off my lazy butt to turn on/off the power then the remote is 100% USDA worthless. [​IMG]

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Not to rain on the "Microsoft = satan" marathon, but isn't it the same way with the PS2 remote?

I don't have it, so I can't say for sure, but from the pictures I've seen of it, I can't locate a power or eject button either.

12. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

There is not a power remote code for the XBOX.

I've seen links to a hack for this - I guess you can hardwire a remote sensor to the switch. If I find it again I'll post it.

Edit: - Here it is. http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xir.php

13. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I do not know if it is the same way on the PS2 as I don't own or have any interest in the Sony-solution. I am sure that there are many multi-platform owners on this forum and you might find a better result making a carbon-copy thread for the PS2 but you may get a slow response to your PS2 inquiry if this thread fills with XB-only posters like myself.

This isn't specifically a Microsoft=Satan thread. Its about a company nicle & diming its customers. As an example of someone that doesn't own another console (actually, this is my first) whether or not other platforms are similarly limited is extraneous information.

Publically complaining about Sony not offering a more full-function remote will do NOTHING for my XB condition.

14. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

15. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Rob, I am not the one advertising a DVD-player remote kit for $30 and not even giving the basic remote functions for the DVD player. I don't mind having to buy a 'kit' but this is an incomplete kit if you ask me.

16. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

I agree that it's incomplete, but since you can't EVER use a remote to put the disc in, how hard is it to hit the eject button (which also turns it on) when you put in the disc? Now the only problem is the slight inconvenience of not being able to turn it off. Definitely not something to have a cow over.

17. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

Just remember that it is a CONSOLE first that is used to play games and it has the nice side benefit of having the ability to play DVD's. Unless Microsoft specifically advertised that they had a power button, then we have no call for calling Microsoft a rapist.

Comparing the XBox DVD remote (or PS2) to a DVD player remote is not entirely an apples to apples comparison. One is designed to play games, and the other is designed to play dvd's. That would be like complaining that a DVD remote doesn't have thumbsticks or trigger buttons for playing the "games" that come on DVD's.

Of course, that is my opinion and obviously not others'. And I really wish they DID have a power button, since to get to my Xbox, I have to walk around the couch and duck under the PJ and dodge the toys, which can be dangerous. Especially late at night with the lights off, and I've just used my remote to turn off everything else.

18. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Well said, David. My feelings exactly.[​IMG]

19. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I agree, not having a power button is a design flaw. I also agree that it isn't that big of one. It is a pain not to have it on the remote, but the kit is sold to allow DVD playback. It does that.

I understand where Brae is coming from with respect to his comments about the relevance of Sony's alternative -- a design flaw is a design flaw, regardless of whether everyone else is doing it.

Having said that, I fail to see how this is nickel and diming Xbox owners or "raping the public." It isn't as if MS offers a $30 DVD kit and then turns around and offers a "premium" remote kit with a power button for $50.

-j

20. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I'm not complaining about the console. I'm complaining about the lousy DVD Remote. The console has its power button. [​IMG]