xbox pcm is it possible?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Len Cheong, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I need to output the xbox audio into a pcm format. I have the hi def pack and want to listen to the audio in pcm. I'm using a set of wireless headphones that can accept an optical signal but only in pcm. Can this be done? Is there a device that converts the dolby digital signal into pcm? Thanks.

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I think you'll have to use the analog outputs on the xbox and connect them directly. You won't have a benefit of using an external decoder or even turning on the DD option in the xbox if you're listening through headphones. Whatever the device is it would have to decode DD 5.1 and then downmix it into stereo. Wait I know if you turn DD off in the xbox it will output in 2ch PCM. There's no benefit of 5.1 if you don't have a 5.1 system to play it on. Kindof like of you don't have progressive scan TV there's no benefit in having a progressive scan capable DVD player.

Daniel Smith

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

To sum up: turn off dolby digital. Remember to turn it back on if/when you plug the box back into a dd capable receiver.

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Thanks, that worked James. Now, I'm not disturbing the house and I get to listen in wireless digital pcm!