What's new

xBox or PS3? Plus...what to buy?.....etc! (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I haven't played it yet, but I understand that the XBOX360 will have a lot of exclusive content that the PS3 won't.

When it comes to headsets, I like the standard headset that plugs into the wireless controller. The cord doesn't get into the way and you can hit the mute switch and adjust volume without having your hands leave the controller.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps in the beginning, but if the DLC is successful for XBOX, I do believe it will eventually be released for the PS3. Successful console "exclusives" rarely last forever. It's just a matter of paticience

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Thank you very much Adam for your info/answers. I´ll comment them when I get home tonight... :)

When I was browsing through this list ( List of Xbox 360 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), I was slightly surprised that it didn´t have *that* many "exclusive" games (vs PS3). Like I said earlier, enough for me, but when I already have PS3, I tend to buy most of my games in PS3 (so if I get Xbox 360, I basically buy only their "exclusive" titles)..

My point is, that I guess this "exclusive" thing is not that wide issue after all (talking about all three consoles).

The way I see it...

Xbox 360 = Hardcore gamers/online-gaming
PS3 = Quality games, but focus also in the "media center"-side. Game selection will improve over time (Xbox 360 got a headstart). Blu-ray side also very important to Sony (if you´re looking HD-films AND games, it´s hard to pass PS3..).
Wii = Easy, fun and inventive games. Great console for the younger ones. Not that many online-games.

IMO, all have their advantages and all have their place. They don´t rule themselves out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

It's quite possible that the agreement is time-limited, though. That's often a question that gets discussed ad nauseam online with no real knowledge. :)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Microsoft Extender only works if you are using XP Media Center edition or Vista. I have regular XP with SP2 and that is not compatible. Bummer.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

..so I also don´t need "Microsoft Extender" etc.

Anyway, I probably get "Elite" after all. Since you never really have "enough" space (my 60gb PS3 has already been "full" on one occasion - too many demos etc. ;) ), better to be safe than sorry. Then again, you pay "extra" mainly for the additional space..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From someone still new at all this I am very happy that
I went with the Elite version -- and I'll tell you why.

First, the HDMI connection is a no-brainer.

Second, having a large hard drive is a must when you consider
all the game saves you will be placing on it as well as downloading
new games and maps that are constantly being made available.

Plus, the included headset is perfect for online chatter.

I am having a BLAST with my xBox 360.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

So far I haven´t really used mine in e.g. "Warhawk" (awesome game - only in PS3) and "Call Of Duty 4" (another awesome game - in both PS3/Xbox 360) and I´m somewhat suspicious (meaning both PS3/Xbox 360) that will this headset-thing bring annoyance (meaning the kids shouting profanities or the "hardcore" gamers shouting if you don´t play *well enough* in the team, or something..). Many online/headset-gamers here? It would be interesting to hear your thought.. So far I haven´t use headset with online-games..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I use a headset all the time though I am intimidated to talk into it.

The profanity doesn't bother me. I hear profanity in my day job
on a daily basis so for me, they are just meaningless words.

Where I do find the headsets valuable is during teamplay with
friends. For example, yesterday I teamed up with a fellow HTF
member and friends for a game of COD4 demolition and
it was rather good to receive private instructions from my teammates.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that´s probably true. Sometimes in a game you´ll see that the "other team" is using headsets (since they´re more organized etc). Then again, plenty of rookies in every game. And you can play these games without the headset, no problem.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Understood. I found it a bit strange for someone doing the usual "Mac Preaching" in the Video Gaming section of all places so I wondered why someone was proud to own a Mac in an area (video gaming) where it clearly does not excel. Thanks for the clarification. Case closed.

(And I second your intention of getting the Elite so that you will have a 1320gig HD. Otherwise you will probably end up buying a 120gig HD later on to replace the 20g on other models.)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

It really depends on the game and the demographic. Halo 3 is the worst. A bunch of 12 year olds who think it's cool to use language that makes me blush (and I'm no prude). The trash talking is also out of control. On the other hand there is almost none of that with COD4 or GRAW. Everyone can see that you are new by your rank, and often they will also give you hints or tips and have no problems with you asking "how did you do that" type questions. I have found that if I am playing in a game on a team with a friend and several other players and no one is talking I'll just initate a private chat with my friend and we can talk all we want and bother no one else. If someone is talking smack or being rude, most games allow you to mute just them.

That's a long winded way of saying I like the headset. The wired one is included with at least the Elite and Pro versions. I haven't used the cordless one, but I like the wired one and have no reason to switch. I should note that the corded one is connected to the controller, not to the console.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey

I've said it before and will say it again, this all falls into the group of people you decide to game with if you decide to go that route. We have close to 100 people in the group I game with, if your in a game no one is in all you have to do is send an invite but enough about the kids/hardcore gamers, just find or start a group you wont regret it.

Headsets are a must have if you want to play any game with any type of teamwork involved. Like I said above we have regular Friday night gaming sessions and that usually goes from how was everyone's day, telling jokes, talking smack with each other(nothing funnier than shooting your friend in the side of the head up close, giving him a hard time and then he runs up and knifes you in the back, and then you get the hard time), but a headset is definitely the way to go.

I have one of the original wireless headsets, I hate the way it fits my ear, the way it feels, it suffered from the random disconnects common in the first batch and the buzzing sound to the rest of your team that sounded like a chopper was landing on their head.

I have been through a few wired headsets but I really like the newer one that Microsoft is using that first showed up in the messenger pad kits, I would recommend the wired over the wireless but that is just my preference

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Jeez. I mention Mac one time with = ;) , and it´s "preaching" and "proud owner"? I was just echoing Brandon_T, who said that he can´t "use Microsoft Extender". Neither can I. That´s all. My opinions about computers indeed belong to the other forum areas..

Anyway, about the headsets. Yes, I fully understand the "good sides" of those, no problem. It´s just that me and my friend tried to use them in Warhawk (they were "official" even), but just didn´t get them to work for some reason (I even had to call to the official "PS3 help" service", etc)... So that´s one reason why I kinda got used playing without them. I also play very randomly (it could be like 1-2/month, just for kicks and having that "good time"). So probably I don´t take these games seriously "enough" about joining to the hardcore teams that play e.g. many times/week, etc. For me it´s "give me a few good kills every now and then"-type of thing. I usually end up dead zillion times, though.. ;) Other reason is, that at the moment only around 2 my close friends have PS3 (and e.g. Warhawk), so hard to play "bigger" online games with "friends only".

In some ways I envy the kids today. They have all the time in the world etc and great games and consoles. When I was younger, I first had C64, then I played "Doom" with the computer of my sister´s boyfriend (now husband) and then "Playstation 1". During with "PS2", many other things started to arrive to my life (still have great memories) and now with PS3/Wii/Xbox 360 I have daily job, FILMS to watch, etc etc. So time is very limited.

But hell, I still love gaming. Now it´s just, that I have to focus on certain games and make some compromises. This could mean, that instead of many hours of net-gaming, I might choose just to play some game "through" with the time that I have.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
But you don't need MS Extender to stream audio/video from a PC running XP w/ SP2 to the 360, as long as it has Windows Media Player 11 (and any related components) installed--not unless I'm either misunderstanding the issue, or there are folks out there who, for whatever reason, refuse to install WMP 11. I can stream from my non-Vista/non-MCE XP w/ SP2 PC to my 360 just fine...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Now that you mention it I installed zone SW on my old PC (XP-Home) and I was able to stream content. I's not the same experience as having an extender, but it lets you access content. My new PC runs Vista and I have a cable card HD tuner. I can watch live TV using the XBOX.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks