Xbox online video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Have people seen the video that MS showed at CES showcasing their concept of Xbox online? My question is-how do they expect to have the bandwidth for that kind of data? They're showing an 8 player (or more) game with realtime voice?

At this point, the gamespy app is suggesting a minimum of 128 kb/s per player to play Halo-I'm lucky if I can get over 100 with my cable connection. I'm just wondering how they're going to pull this one off...

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

The beauty of a broadband network. Microsoft went fully broadband with the X-box for a reason. So that they can pull of things like they are touting in that video. Remember its just conceptual. It would be a dream if the BB network did work so smoothly but reality does have to set in sometime[​IMG]. Things will be a bit rocky at first but if MS does realize what the they envision in that video, We are in for a treat (..those with the bandwidth that is..)
    It was a gutsy move for Microsoft to go purely BB and it really narrows down the amount of gamers who are going to go online with the Box but at the same time for those that have a BB connection and loads of bandwidth it will hopefully be the smoothest online experience available.

3. Michael_Dal

Michael_Dal Extra

The gamespy tunnel software is emulating a LAN connection. Halo does not currently have network code for internet play. There was no reason for the developers to optimize the net code as it was designed for 4 machines on a 10mbs connection. Considering it is possible to play HalfLife or Quake III online with up to 32 players in a game, I am sure that supporting a mere 8 players per game should not be too difficult even for MS.