1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One X owners thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Jun 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Don't you mean "power using" mode? As in it uses more power than if you truly power it down? I think the XBox term is actually "Instant On". Power Saving mode is a near true shutdown, but takes longer to boot up.

I know it's still a relatively small amount, but I'm old-school and like to truly power down devices I am not using. And I still view these OSs as needing to be restarted to keep from getting corrupted.

Jeff Cooper and Sam Posten like this.
  2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah, that. Live a little, try it.

3. Carlo Medina

I do it more to reduce my carbon footprint. I have quite a few instant-on devices, and I leave them on power save instead. And yes, when I leave for extended periods I do shut down the power strips around the house where I can.

4. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

True. I've been around computers end electronics enough to have an ingrained distrust of them to function properly for long periods of time without a true shutdown and restart.

There's a very good reason that 95% of all technical problems are solved by 'switch it of... and then switch it back on again.'!

5. Carlo Medina

I will say that XBox OS can be flaky. Sometimes it won't connect to XBL despite being hardwired (hey, I play FPS, I need hardwiring). And I have to manually clear MAC address and restart and it connects right away. So yeah, even powering it down doesn't always result in a clean boot.

6. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    I avoided the Xbox One and One S waiting for this, so it's finally time for me to buy one when they are available. I personally can't wait.

DavidJ and Sam Posten like this.
  7. Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Supporting Actor

Raul H. Marquez, MD
    Does anyone really know if there will be a VR add-on for the XBox One X like the Playstation has?

8. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    I have heard no...

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Microsoft sad flat out multiple times that VR will not be coming to the Xbox One X at all. They think the wires are a problem so they want to develop mixed reality (VR, AR, and similar combinations) exclusively on Windows PCs.

Which is weird, because a year ago they said Scorpio (Xbox One X) would be all about the best VR you could possibly find on a console.

10. Carlo Medina

I cannot find anywhere a quote attributed to MS that it will never come to XBX. The most I can find is that they just didn't announce anything at all. Or as Wired best put it:
    https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-e3-xbox-one-x-vr/
    Titled "XBox One X Ignored VR - Just Like Everyone Else".

If you have an actual official source for a quote by a rep from MS/Xbox saying it will never come, I'd be interested. Just curious. I personally have very little interest in VR currently, so it's presence or absence has zero effect on my decision to purchase.

Tino and Sam Posten like this.
  11. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I've was planning the same thing, but when push comes to shove I'll have to evaluate if I really have the time to play for it to be worth it.

An interesting article:

"I got an early look at Microsoft's new Xbox One X in action, and I was not blown away"

https://amp.businessinsider.com/xbox-one-x-hands-on-photos-video-2017-6

Basically the premise is that 4K over HD is not as big an upgrade as HD over SD. An issue familiar to home theater enthusiasts.

12. Carlo Medina

Until final products taking full advantage of X's new hardware are released, I can't take opinions like these too seriously. The hardware is several months away from being released, and no matter what was shown at E3, those are still beta builds that haven't been finalized, yet alone optimized, for the new hardware.

Conventional wisdom in the gaming world says it takes up to a year post-release for games to start fully utilizing new console hardware. We're still five months ahead of release of the X. It would be unwise to draw any definitive conclusion about the capabilities of the X for at least 12-18 more months.

Remember the first authored DVDs and BDs on hardware release in 1997 and 2006 respectively? Those looked downright terrible compared to DVDs and BDs released several years into the lifecycle of those products. Games are even more difficult to optimize to hardware than home videos are.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The problem is, MS has been adamant (as has Sony) that the One X is absolutely not getting games that are exclusive to the One X. EVERYTHING released for it MUST play on the One and One S, too. So nothing will take advantage of it in ways that can be seen above the other pieces of hardware.

Personally, I think HDR is much more interesting than 4K. 4K is more about knowing your hardware is powerful, but HDR is the one that makes an actual visual difference. You can't "see" 4K as well as you can see HDR. And it's not worth literally double the price to achieve.

As for judging the One X too harshly, Microsoft showed off some of their flagship games (specifically Forza) in their optimized-for-One-X versions and it was still deemed "pretty but not amazing" by the press. I don't really know what the big difference is between 60 FPS 4K Forza on One X and 60 FPS 4K Gran Turismo on PS4 Pro, except for that extra $100 in hardware price.

If you want to hold out 12-18 months to see the true potential of One X, then you might as well just hold out until their next Xbox console is announced. The One X is squarely in THIS generation, not the next one. It's a bandaid for their weakened brand that came out 4 years too late.

Regarding VR, everything that was written during E3, including quotes from Phil Spencer (and a video from IGN where they interviewed him) said that Microsoft saw VR as a PC-only thing and the present issues (read: wires) made it unsuitable for Xbox One X and living room play. Since then, MS has clarified that they intend to support it on Xbox One X, but have given zero details about what games and when. My guess is that they're waiting for some of the more elegant solutions to be proven out before they support them.

14. Carlo Medina

Morgan that is not how I understand it. There's a base game that must be playable on all consoles, true, but based on what I recall hearing at the summer announcements, certain games will have "additional downloads" that will enable it to take more advantage of the better hardware. Now that part is totally up to the devs to enable, so it is no surprise that the first ones doing so are titles like Forza.

And again, you missed my part about how even what they showed in E3 is beta. The hardware is months away from release. A lot changes between now and release. All I'm saying is: wait until the actual release hardware/software before judging. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If after release there isn't anything exciting to crow about, I'll join the ranks. But to start making sweeping pronouncements without anything tangible in your hands, and having only seen demos of games and hardware that is months away from release...

DavidMiller likes this.
  15. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    This is exactly how we have HDR on all these games that still play just fine on the original Xbox One. The game is completely loaded on your harddrive, hence why I stopped buying the discs. Then they can download the additional content need via the internet. This is the same way Sony does it too. Carlo's the only thing I'll counter is that the hardware that we saw is probably the final with software tweaks. It takes a while to produce a couple hundred thousand consoles for a launch. I'm excited but I'm also fully invested in 4K. Even if your not running 4K this machine will deliver a better picture with less tearing and other issues of the past. I'll be excited with Forza and Crackdown...

Well maybe nothing since these are the two best racers and have both pushed the edge from graphics and in game physics. What does the hardware price matter when it comes to the game other then maybe slightly better and smother graphics. Honestly I saw some screen caps / videos between the PS and the PS Pro for one game that was "optimized" for the pro and saw no difference watching the game play. So as has been pointed out there is not a noticeable difference between 1080p and 4K unless you are really looking for it and even then most 4K TVs can up-convert the signal to 1080p nicely.

I'm stepping back out but wanted to throw a couple logs on the fire...

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Carlo - I think you and I may be misunderstanding each other. I read your previous comment about the power of the One X as saying something like, "Eventually a game will be made that is exclusive to the One X and takes full advantage of its power." What I was saying was, "Games will be made that take advantage of the added power but will not be exclusive to the One X and will still run on the One and One S." Those "enhanced" versions of games will require additional higher-res textures and whatnot, but the actual gameplay itself will be essentially the same. Don't expect to see One X-exclusive games or even modes. If you can play it in 4K with HDR on the One X, then you can also play it at 1080p with HDR on the One S.

In regards to the hardware/software being in beta, I don't know how strong that argument really is. From what I read, Forza was their main showpiece and was a stunner. I don't anticipate it looking better, or even needing to look better, before it gets released. And the hardware configuration is pretty much final. Even so, the bigger question isn't whether or not games will look good and play good, but if the boost over the One S to get the same gameplay experience (gameplay being considered separate from visuals) is worth literally double the cost. You're paying $500 instead of $250 to simply get 4x more pixels on the screen and just about nothing else.

In regards to screen-tearing and slowdown, I don't like to say that those things are hardware-related because they're really software-related. If you were to make an incredibly simple game on the original Xbox, you may very well be able to pump out 4K HDR 60 fps with zero stability issues, and yet we see games struggling to run smoothly on the PS4 Pro. It comes down to the game and how it's made. The hardware being more powerful just means less finesse and bug-tracking needs to be involved in order to get the game running well. I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing, just that I dislike the idea that "more powerful hardware = better software performance."

David - your points about PS4 vs. PS4 Pro (HD vs. 4K) are spot-on. Most reviews of the games at E3 said that the 4K upgrade wasn't that significant, but 60FPS framerates and HDR were the killer features. That said, you can get 60 FPS if a game is well-programmed and HDR can be found on the PS4, PS4 Pro, or the One S. So the only thing that the One X can tout over the others is that it's probably going to give you closer-to-native-4K (some games are checkerboard-rendering, which isn't "quite" native 4K) and cost more money. And, on top of that, I mean...what is there to even play on it?

17. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    Everything there is to play on the PS Pro - Sony exclusives + MS exclusives... :)

I have lots more to play then I have time to play... So plenty of content.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yes, plenty of content but what did they announce for the future? What game is coming that is so amazing that it's worth paying $500 for a One X in November instead of $250 for a PS4 or One S now?

19. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    Much like Sony fanboys that bought the Pro because it is from Sony... The same can be said for the Xbox One X. I'll buy one because I enjoy the Xbox experience and maybe a tad of a fanboy. I'm looking forward to Forza because I enjoy that series and Crackdown 3 because I have been waiting forever for that title. I'm sure the new COD and other main stream titles will look fantastic too. Better then my Xbox One S, shrug my shoulders and say yes but who knows until it is in my hand.

Would I wait if looking to buy a console, tough question but how many would not already have a console? Then it is just a mater do you want true 4K or not? People are either going to spend the money or not... I'm choosing to spend mine but I have plenty to spend and don't need to worry about putting food on the table or buy a new console.

20. Carlo Medina

Your right Morgan I'm canceling my order.

Oh wait.

Tino likes this.