What's new

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit, full backwards compatability of 360 on X1!
Sam is it all games? I was just talking to a friend that said select titles only.

By the way still fantastic news. Thanks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow. Bc would have really made me struggle with my ps4 purchase had I known that was coming. In this case, ignorance was bliss :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Select titles only, it sounds.

But it doesn't sound like last time. Rather, this sounds like merely a formality. The publisher confirms the title works fine and requests that it be added. No major compatibility issues, no custom emulator settings, etc.

Hopefully by late next year, it will be approaching 100% (They're promising "hundreds of additions each month"). I hope almost everything is eventually signed off on, although I worry about my delisted games (Such as Outrun Online Arcade), games from defunct developers (Project Gotham Racing 3 & 4; Hopefully MS, as the publisher, at least gets these going even though the developer is defunct), full DLC support for cleared titles, and Xbox backwards compatibility.

There's no reason why a Xbox game that was supported by the Xbox 360's Xbox emulator, shouldn't be able to work here. As far as the 360 was concerned, the emulation shell with the Xbox iso just amounted to another 360 title. So hopefully that happens for the ~10% or so of that library that really worked well on the 360 (Half the library was technically compatible, and judging by personal experiences, perhaps 20% of that half of the library actually worked well enough to be fully enjoyed... hence my 10% estimate.).

Too bad that HD-DVD drive support likely doesn't have a prayer. What would've been easy to support since all they needed was XB1 drivers for it, gets even easier now since they don't even need to write new drivers for this add-on now. Just allow the 360's pre-existing drivers to run via the XB1's 360 emulator.

But sadly for those that have a decent sized HD-DVD library, defunct but hardly technically obsolescent, just aren't a sizable enough crowd for MS to probably give a 2nd thought to...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is there a way to get MP3's on the Xbox One today?

You can access the 360's guide on the XB1 with supported 360 titles, and the custom soundtrack feature for the 360 is something I love using in many racing games like Test Drive Unlimited.

Hopefully there ends up a way, even if XB1 games proper never end up having full custom soundtrack support with one's MP3 library.

Morgan Jolley said:
Only disappointment is that they have so many NES games that nobody played but not both Killer Instinct 1 and 2.

Those NES games were all hits.

Killer Instinct 1 & 2 are carrots that they dangle in front of those with fond memories of those, for the Xbox One launch title Killer Instinct.

If you were to complain about anything, I would've thought it might've been the lack of Goldeneye, the lack of Genesis/SuperNes titles (Various Battletoads and R.C. Pro-Am sequels, along with the SuperNes Killer Instinct port, are some notable non-Nintendo owned absences from Rare's unrepresented 16 bit years), or at least all those Spectrum titles that virtually nobody in North America are familiar with.

That computer was a hit in the UK back in the 1980's, but virtually unknown over here. But games like R.C. Pro-Am are definitely familiar and beloved classics for many Americans and Canadians.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah it's select titles but all games are possible. We'll see how it shakes out. If you bought the title in the past and it comes out for X1 it's yours already.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
GoldenEye would never happen because the rights are way too tied up in so many companies. I'm not at all surprised. And arguably, Perfect Dark was a better game.

I was reading somewhere that the Xbox 360 backward compatibility is not through full-on emulation, but rather a combo of emulation and recompiling the original code of the games to run on the XB One. That's why you need to put the physical 360 disc in the console, it downloads the game from the internet and installs it on the HDD, then you can play it (but need the 360 disc in the drive to do so for, basically, DRM reasons). This makes sense and is awesome. I REALLY hope Sony can follow suit.

After watching some of the other stuff yesterday, I think MS had a better show. They didn't seem to announce any big new games, but most of the stuff they showed is for 2015. Most of Sony's conference was 2016 or later, even though it was pretty much all games and not hardware or features.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In an interview earlier today, one of the higher ups at Rare said GoldenEye was't considered for the collection because it wasn't a wholly-Rare game. It was based on a pre-existing IP and wasn't an original creation. So before it even became an issue of trying to secure the rights, they decided not to go for it.

Well, that's what they're saying. They made something like 120 games since the 80s and they picked the 30 best ones that represent their abilities.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nothing strange about that. Licensed based games are rarely rereleased.

It's a rare day when one pops up again, like Daytona USA, X-Men, Tron, and few others did that finally saw an arcade accurate home conversion on last generation consoles.

Tough to make the numbers work.

Morgan Jolley said:
GoldenEye would never happen because the rights are way too tied up in so many companies. I'm not at all surprised. And arguably, Perfect Dark was a better game.

While I agree on the latter (Although it hardly matters... memories are more important and what would sell such a release), the most common story I heard when Rare cancelled their XBLA port was that Nintendo didn't own a thing and that Goldeneye's ownership was no different than Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, etc.

Apparently Activision, the videogame rights holder at the time for this movie franchise, was willing to cooperate with MS/Rare to allow them access to the James Bond license. But they also wanted to protect their relationship with Nintendo and wanted their unofficial blessing before cooperating to get such an iconic Nintendo classic out on a competing platform.

Sadly, Nintendo said they'd rather Activision didn't cooperate, and that was that (Even an offer by Rare to release the N64 classic on the Virtual Console didn't change their mind).

But I believe that the videogame rights for the Bond franchise no longer belong to Activision, so this is a potential opportunity for something to change here.

I bet the N64 classic reappears on the Xbox One as a standalone download for $15.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeez. At least you're in. I like it. Cool features. And some backward compatible games available too. [emoji106]

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I spotted it after making those posts. I'll post in to that thread from now on for anything H5 related.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks