What's new

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, the kids started out with several games: Zoo Tycoon, Ryse, Killer Instinct and Forza 5. On the PS4, they are hooked on Lego game plus Contrast.

Resogun (PS4) is still the most fun on either platform.

That said, my kids spent most of the day on the WiiU because of an annoying factor with the XBOX One.. every time my wife would say to the kids "do you like the XBOX?" or anything where she mentioned 'XBOX' the screen would pop up asking them what they wanted to do, etc. Just a real 'uhh..' kind of moment.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
We have knack, and have played al the way through it. It's not bad.

Ryse may be one of the worst next generation games. It's pretty.. but so repetitive, not very well thought out and it gets boring fast. It's a complete button masher..

Forza, though, is quite awesome.

cavell219

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Cavell
mattCR said:
We have knack, and have played al the way through it. It's not bad.

Ryse may be one of the worst next generation games. It's pretty.. but so repetitive, not very well thought out and it gets boring fast. It's a complete button masher..

Forza, though, is quite awesome.

I love racing games but I never got Forza as I fear it isn't worth the $60 price tag.... I got FIFA instead as my most recent game purchase and am still not sure if I made the correct choice...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That's meaningless for us Playstation guys, but sucks for everyone else. (Of course, it already sucked for them since 2K is supposedly so much worse than The Show. . .)

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
XB1 Installation problem: I installed several of these for a client right before the holidays, on one of his systems, going into a Marantz AV 7005 via HDMI, the XBX would come up with a green wash dominating the screen. I messed around with a few different settings in the Marantz and ended up trying a different XB1, which did the same thing, and then ran it straight into the projector, which worked fine. In phone conversations with Marantz, it appears this has appeared a few other times on other brands of receiver/pre-pro since I first reported the issue, and has been concluded that this is an XB1 issue that can be resolved by going into the XB1 settings where there's a color depth setting, and changing it to either 30 or 35.

FYI, in case anyone out there experienced this issue with their new XB1.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Picked up one for Christmas for the kids with Lego Marvel superheroes and Skylanders Swap Force and I was greatly impressed by the games, and picture quality. This is my first real experience playing games in high definition and all I can say is wow. It actually convinced me to go to Gamestop and purchase the universal HD component adapter for the 360 and Wii and Marvel vs. Capcom looked fabulous.
So far the only problem I have is when I choose the 5.1 uncompressed stereo setting, I get some kind of error indicating that my receiver does not support it. Also, occasionally I get the HDMI protected error on Bluray discs, but ejecting and inserting the discs usually addresses that. I love the function where you can hook your satellite box to it and watch tv through the XB1. I got the 12 month Xbox Gold Live subscription and this may help me decide whether to cut the satellite or not. All in all one piece of impressive equipment. PS4 will be in our home Christmas this year.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Rumor has it that the new MS CEO is looking to possibly sell or axe the Xbox division. That would be unfortunate.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
No way they'll kill it. Worst case scenario, they sell it to another company that screws it up. Another possibility is that they spin it off into a standalone company.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering how much money they've lost since 2001, I doubt they could make Xbox into its own company. Selling it to someone else makes sense, but who would buy it? Who has the capital and interest? Apple, Samsung, and Amazon are already working on their own living room console devices and probably wouldn't want to be forced to use MS apps that are ingrained into the XB1, so they're probably not willing to take it. Who else is even big enough to buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks