What's new

xbox on right track. (1 Viewer)

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
voodoo has posted a poll it has conducted with almost 7000 people surveyed the xbox was voted best console of 2001.
Link Removed
Best overall console system of the year?
12/10/2001
Xbox (3192)
47%
PlayStation 2 (1566)
23%
GameCube (1097)
16%
Undecided (684)
10%
Gameboy Advance (254)
4%
Total Votes: 6793

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well with a PC enthusiast site like VX, it shouldn't be any surprise that the Xbox is #1. I love my Xbox, but the PS2 is cleary THE console of 2001. Any idiot should realize that.

GTA 3

GT 3

THPS 3

MGS 2

vs.

Halo

C'mon Now!!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
GTA 3
GT 3
THPS 3
MGS 2
Versus:
Tennis 2K2
Ferrari F355
Shenmue II
Sonic Adventure II
Skies of Arcadia
?
No doubt, Dreamcast is the console of the year.
My money is on PS2 for console of the year next year, and Xbox the year after that.
Now I'm going to play some Super Monkey Ball (but I'll be playing Xbox this weekend).
:)

James Nguyen

Second Unit
My my Scott,
your convincing argument thoroughly has me convinced!! :) :)
there never can be nor never will be a console/game/sex toy of year __________
....just too subjective...
and scott, listing of games are just that, a list of games you like. My assumption that console would mean the hardware itself, but who knows. I would begrudgingly agree with you however, simply because GC and Xbox have been out but a wee month... and compared to the DC, as much as I love it, PS2 just had a much better 2001 since well...it didn't wave the white flag! :P

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I see your point James, but be honest, hardware is just tech specs on paper. Until it's actually put to use by seeing some great games, then the console is just a hyped-up hunk of plastic.

Soon after launch I kept hearing about the PS2's HD and broadband capabilites, it's been over a year and still no games that take advantage. I think the PS2 is the console for 2001 because of the games that are on it, regardless of whether or not a HD is being used.

I still think it's the games that make the console, not the tech #'s. I would judge a console based on that. But as you say, that's just me...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I still think it's the games that make the console, not the tech #'s. I would judge a console based on that. But as you say, that's just me...
It's not just you.

And Voodoo Extreme is hardly a fair & unbiased site to host such a poll. They're a PC orientated site that has been quite open about being courted by the Microsoft Xbox PR people.

I could just as easily put links up to GameFAQs' polls that state just the opposite to this one - XBox in 'last place'.

Ho hum. Who cares who 'wins' as long as we all get lots of good games to play?

James Nguyen

Second Unit
by all means I don't think that the pure specs of the xbox make it the "better"/"best" machine..
my point was that it was just subjective on a *software* basis :)
I like my xbox...love it actually..comparing my feeling toward my xbox and my ps2 at their respective launches, I'm liking my xbox more...it took a LOOOOONG time before games came out on the ps2 that really pulled me in.
both GC and xbox just haven't been around long enough for serious consideration as a console of the year for 2001...just not realistic IMO. Although it wasn't expressly stated in the original post, the xbox IS on a very good start, particularly for MS's first go at it. I'd argue it's going just as well as when Sony faced up to the criticims and doubts put toward it back in the mid 90s as it was getting its original playstation out the door. And that, my friends, bodes well for us as gamers I think. The more the merrier eh?

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Soon both will be in the latter category. In case you haven't noticed, there is a new sheriff in town.

Says you.

Again,this is not a dis at the Xbox. I think the system is great,& I want one. But just because it is the most powerful system currently available means crap.

Lets see next year,when it has been around for awhile.

And I keep thinking about that broadband issue....meaning who is going to be able to afford it when they do go online??

You have to have the software that people want. Sony has it. Nintendo will have it. Microsoft has to prove it can sustain the momentum it has now.

And don't forget Japan....

Calvin

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
And I keep thinking about that broadband issue....meaning who is going to be able to afford it when they do go online??

The xbox is a next generation console. Its created for us hardcore gamers who want a new and elightened gaming experience, Voice over IP on top of our gaming, to chat with our partners as we go though Halo, etc. Half the future of next generation gaming is gonna be online play , communities, voice, video conferencing, etc. This cannot be accompished with Dial up access.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
response to one of the earlier posts.."there can not be a console of the year..too subjective"

i think statistically speaking..there can be a console of the year.

if console A sells 1000000000000 units and 9999999999999 games..and console B sells 1000 units and 50 games..but in your opinion its (B) the better console..still makes console A "Console of the Year". As much as some people might not want to admit it.

Like, Mulan Rouge im sure was a great movie..but I probably will never see it..but I wont argue that its not a great movie. = ]

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, popularity does not make something console of the year. Otherwise, Chicken McNuggets are the delicacy of the year.

I regard XXX of the year as the most influential, creative, accomplished, successful, and/or newsworthy item/person/event of that category.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Does anybody ever wonder why Gaming sites do not REVIEW the consoles? Gamespot for example rates the games, not the platform. Just a little morsel for thought.
That said, I believe PS2 to be the console of the year. Why?
1) Well timed PR counter to the Xbox and GC launches (GTA3, MGS2)...these two games really helped keep Sony on the front page when the other consoles came out.
2) It is in more homes...people already have the PS2 and are playing some great games. Xbox and GC are contenders for next year to be sure, but it is too early for them to be lauded as console of the year.
3) Technology. Most gamers can't take advantage of the progressive scan capabilities of the new consoles, so the PS2 doesn't have a handicap in that arena. So there is even, if you consider the populace at large.
And no, i don't own a PS2. I just bought a DC and love it, but i can accept the fact that PS2 is a strong console this year. Thanks for listening :)
Jason

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
gamespot does indeed review the particular games for different consoles.

There is a review for Max payne for the PS2 and there is a review for Max payne for the Xbox. The ps2 version scored lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks