What's new

XBox on my HDTV (1 Viewer)

MikeAA

Auditioning
I just bought an XBox and would like to continue playing it on my HDTV (SD-643HD5) but both my TV and XBox manual tell me not to. Actually the warnings range from NEVER to limit to 2 hours with 6 hours of regular TV between.

The devil on my shoulder that wants to play games on the 64" HD screen gives me these reasons why it's OK.

- The new games have little or no statics images. Some none. Most few that are only on the screen part of the time not all.

- DVD's menus have static images and while I try not to I don't worry if I forget and leave a DVD menu up when I leave the room for awhile.

- I called Pioneer and they said there's nothing different about the XBox signal (watching DVD's with it is fine) and the 2 hour limit is being conservative.

What's your opinion, how much do I worry?

Luke_Y

Second Unit
MikeAA, I have been playing games on my RPTV for quite some time now and have noticed no adverse efects. I play mostly Quake and Unreal but my son plays many games with some static images. He knows that if he is going to pause it and walk away to eat lunch or whatever he needs to turn off the TV first.

YMMV

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I concur with Luke. I too have played my PS2 on my HDTV for about 7 months. No problems... but everything in moderation - especially if it's a static image.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Only you can make sure the settings are not in torch mode. If you are not comfortable with setting up the tv then have it professionaly calibrated.

I have the pro-610 with an x-box hooked up. So far everything looks a-ok. The x-box does have a screen saver that kicks in after a while, much like the dreamcast does.

Just make sure you are not in visual torch mode, then crank up the 5.1...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I thought the X-Box was making available a broadband connection that would allow you to tap into your HD/component input for a HDTV...or is that not available yet? My understanding was that these systems are being integrated with High Definition so that the games had no adverse affect with static images and such.

Bruce

MikeAA

Auditioning
I am connecting to my HDTV via a component input to the TV (I'm using a audio/video pack by Monster for component and digital audio but you can also buy one from Microsoft) but that doesn't mean there's no risk of the burn-in / sticking I've heard about or does it?

Also when you say broadband I assume you don't mean the broadband network port that allows you to connect it to the internet, that's not related to video output in any way that's just a network port.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that one of the pluses was that the X-Box could send a HD output to your TV in addition to the normal 640x480.

MikeAA

Auditioning
It does. 480p, 720p and 1080i. But I don't think that means that I don't have to worry about the burn-in or sticking from static images.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
The jury is still out on the other forums about whether 720p is supported. No games yet...it is all technical talk about "capabilities" :)
Jason

MikeAA

Auditioning
What do you mean the jury is out. In the video setup of the XBox there is a 720p enabled/disabled selection (along with 480p and 1080i).

My TV (Pioneer SD-643HD5) doesn't support 720p anyway.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
MikeAA,

I think the first 1080i game (Test Drive)is due early 2002. Be aware that there is a Test Drive game out now (TD off road), but it is not 1080i.

There have also been posts from people who were developing HD material for the X-box stating that technical difficulties exist and artifacts were present beyond 480p.

On my set, 480p looks incredible.

MikeAA

Auditioning
I'm not too technical on HD but I've heard that there's a debate about which is better 1080i or 720p. Could an argument be made between 480p and 1080i or is there no question that 1080i is better?

What's the opinion here on 1080i vs. 720p? Should I be bummed that my TV doesn't support 720p?

Not too worried just wondering and trying to get educated on it.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
480p is not HD. It's "Standard Definition".

There is a bit of debate over which is better between 720p & 1080i. 720p is very rare. Not many sets can display native 720p. Your set, for example, will convert 720p signals into 1080i.

MikeAA

Auditioning
DVDs play 1080i on my set then or does that depend on the DVD?

Any way to tell what resolution a given source is playing in?

Sorry for branching this thread off onto a different subject.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I think moderation is the key. Mitsubishi warns against playing 4x3 material because of the potential for burn-in. I am sure that static images carry the same warning.

But so far, other than dry eyes and drool, I've had no problems with the Xbox hooked up to the HDTV. :cool:

- Steve

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

DVD's are not in 1080i. The best you can hope for right now is 480p. HD-DVD's are still years into the future. (1080i being the accepted standard for HD).

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks