Xbox on HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Szott, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Just an FYI - Have hooked up a Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and PSX to our new HDTV (Mitsubishi WT-46809). The PS2 looks good with component cables, and dreamcast gets by. PSX or N64 is pretty bad. The Xbox is by far the system of choice for HDTV owners. It auto-detects HDTV status and outputs progressive scan video for games automatically. You can also set the box to output the video stream in 4:3, 16:9, or letterbox - super hot picture. I believe Gran Turismo 3 for PS2 will do 16:9 as well, but I don't have the game so can't report it here.

No game yet is programmed to go above 480p, but the Xbox can support up to 1080i (if programmers want to take advantage of that resolution.) DOA3 looks absolutely eye-popping on an HDTV, Halo and JSRF look great too.

If any Home Theater Folks here are looking at game systems, Xbox looks to be the winner (IMHO.) Anyone else had any experiences with bis screens and game consoles?

Best,

Joe

2. Christopher Collins

I also have the Xbox on my HDTV and I will second the opinion that it looks and sound incredible. If anyone has any doubts I will be doing some screen shots this weekend of the PS2 VS Xbox on HDTV. Ill post the results on my website for all to see.