What's new

Xbox Newbie Question... (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I just bought a new XBOX...havnt even opened the box(cause I have no games yet). I have 2 questions...
1) Do I need to buy a memory card to save games or can I save it on the HDD?
2) Besides having an ISP and a hub or modem, is there any additional hardware needed when xbox goes live? Can I just use a Cat-5 cable or do I need something special?

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I asked the same question when I got my xBox. You can save directly to the hard drive. I actually don't know anyone who has a memory card.
For networking, all you need is standard cat5 cable. You can actually play some games online right now without Xbox Live. Check out Link Removed or Link Removed

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can just save to the hard drive

You need a ROUTER if you plan on having anything but your XB online, not a hub. Everything's standard in terms of cable, but you do need to buy the XB Live headset kit

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
A hub will work fine, Mark, it just completely depends on your setup. If you've got an existing network setup shared over a hub, your Xbox will plug into that just fine, I believe.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Right, but since the PCs can't access the XBox, only see it thre's not point. If you want them all to share your cable modem connection (or DSL) you need a router or a dedicated PC

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Actually, I have my Xbox connected directly to my computer via a crossover cable and I play Halo online all the time.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Right, but since the PCs can't access the XBox, only see it thre's not point. If you want them all to share your cable modem connection (or DSL) you need a router or a dedicated PC
I have DSL that comes into my wife's PC via one network card. Out of another network card is a connection to a hub which I use for my PC & my Dreamcast. My Xbox will be going into the spare socket on the hub.

No dedicated PC, no router.

joshiajay

Auditioning
Mark,
Don't open your XBOX take it back and next week you can buy a xbox with 2 Sega games for free. Look in some other threads for more details but the new bundle goes on sale on October 15th.
Ajay

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
If anyone ever has any problems with their Xbox, and they have to either return it for a replacement or, ship it to MS for repair, they wish like hell that they bought a memory card and backed up their saves from the hd.
Try playing Morrowind for 3 months and realizing that your saved game is now sitting in a box in E.B. and you have to start all over from the beginning!! :eek: Thank God that the guys there helped me out! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Derrik,

I was worried that this might happen to me, so I just got one of the Mad Catz cards from Target for $10. I figured $10 is nothing compared to what I could lose. Plus, I can now take game saves over to a friends X-box.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks