xbox networking - who wants to play?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Proud, Nov 20, 2001.

1. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

I believe I could get the multiplayer working right now on the xbox with the ethernet jack and a 2 way vpn routed network.

I am looking for individuals that are interested in establishing a vpn connection to my router and vice versa to yours. IF you are technical and understand how ip addressing works, private v/s's public, etc and have a vpn server setup at your house, lets setup a two way persistent connection between houses to each other and then our xboxs will be on the same private network and will be able to see each other and we can play games.

Message me if interested.

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I should be getting my X-Box in the near future, and I have a network set up in my house...

I might be willing to give it a shot, but I may need some tips on getting a VPN going...

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Sounds good. I'll definitely be in touch when I get my XBox.

Troy

4. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I would be interested in giving this a try.

What do I need to setup a VPN connection? I have a Netopia DSL router, I havent played with the VPN setup yet, but lets coordinate giving this a try. I will be home this coming weekend (nov 23-25), if you are around let me know.

Jeff Peake

5. David Proud

Jeff, I am not sure your Netopia DSL router can be setup to accept vpn connections, can you send me a link to some technical documentation about it.

6. Tom_J

Tom_J Agent

I have been wondering about this myself. Looks like other people are heading in the same direction. I don't see any reasons why it wouldn't work.
    Take a look at this page.
    There is a huge thread (I'm sure there are more) on possible solutions. So far, no one has come up with one yet. Read it here.
    Keep us posted!

7. Jeff Peake

8. David Proud

whooho it will work Jeff. Thats a nice little router you have, I will review the pdf this week and we should be ready to play this weekend.

we need to setup your network with the ip range 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255 since I am on the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 range.

next step my router calls yoru router and establishes a connection on the 192.168.1.0-255 network

last steup your router calls my router and establishes a connection on the 192.168.0.0-255 network.

we will use the routers to assing dhcp information to the xbox. providing it with an ip address and gateway.

then when we play the game, if I wanna connect to you I just type in 192.168.1.something and whoola

the xbox sends the packets out to the network uses the gateway 192.168.0.1 and the router sends it out its vpn connection to 192.168.1.1 "your router" and your router sends it to your xbox at 192.168.1.something.

we will be able to find out what ip the xbox picks up by the lease it obtains in the dhcp server.

9. Jeff Peake

My IP range is already set to 192.168.1.xxx [​IMG]
    I will be home Wednesday night. I will try to look through the VPN setup screens in my router to see if I can figure it out.
    My connection is 384/384 sdsl, what are you on??
    Let me know what time you wish to try to get this connection started. The best way to contact me would be MSN Messenger (my id is [email protected]).
    Looking forward to trying this out! What games other than Halo support multiplayer??? I have Halo, Madden 2002, Gotham, Dead or Alive 3, and Evo2.
    I need to go to Best Buy and get a 50' section of Cat5!!
    Jeff

10. David Proud

Hi Jeff, I will be home Wed as well, that might be a good time to try and get it connected. I as well need to run a 50ft cable to the xbox. hit me up on my email tommorow if you have any questions, [email protected] is my email. Talk with you later tommorow.

11. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hey guys, let me know if this works out. Because if it does, I will be getting in on this with you for sure!
    I just have a few questions though.
    Right now I just have my cable modem hooked straight into my computer through CAT5 cable. Anyways though, I'm planning on setting up a home network to share my internet connection in the next while using one of those Broadband Cable/DSL Routers.
    I was going to go with either the SMC Barricade or the Linksys. Do you know if either one of these supports VPN? And to add to this, is one of those two the product that I will need to get this working, or is it something else?
    Last question is, is there anyway possible to do this without the use of an external router? Can I possibly do this via some shareware computer software and an second ethernet card in my computer?(which I do have lying around in my house) My only reason for asking is because as of right now (after springing for the Xbox and Gamecube) my funds for my home network are very low and if I can avoid buying the router right now I will be very happy.
    Please let me know as soon as you can.
    Thanks a bunch...hope to be playing against/with you soon [​IMG]
    Andrew

12. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
  13. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I'm using a LinkSys one-port Cable/DSL router to hook up my various computers and PS2 to the net. The manual for it doesn't mention VPN at all, though. Any idea if this will work?
    If so, I'm so in. [​IMG]

14. David Proud

yes there are software solutions and if you go with the right one you can save money and have more options.

as far as using the linksys or the smc, I have gotten two vpn connections working with these routers, however it is a tricky setup and it still requires a dedicated vpn server behind the linksys and smc routers. In my opinion you might as well have a machine with 2 nics in it, one connected to dsl or cable and the other connected to your hub or switch. Install some good NAT software and use a good stable os. Linux will do the job, but if you want a gui solution, purchase a copy of windows nt 4.0. purchase a copy of winroute to go with it. Winroute is the best win32 code ever written in my opinion, its effecient and a great product for the money. It will manage your vpn connections, make them, keep them up, and do NAT/PAt and all your internet sharing needs.

You could purchase windows 2000 server as it features built in Nat, but the features are rather limited, however it would work great for the average user and yes would be effecient at managing the 2 way vpn connections.

15. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Hi all...

Quick question. Is the Link cable a crossover cable or straight through? I have 2 friends coming over tonight w/ their Xbox's and I have plenty of Cat5 straight through cables. Was wondering if that will work. If it needs a crossover cable, then I could just use a DLINK switch/hub with straight through... I think?

Thanks,

Mike D.

16. David Proud

Hi Mike i imagine that yes the link cable is gotta be a crossover cable. You should be fine.

17. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

If you're connecting multiple Xbox's to a hub, they need to be straight through cables. If you were going from one computer to a second one you would need a crossover cable.

Andrew

18. David Proud

Jeff and I tried to get this working over vpn, however we did not have the L2TP avaliable so I tried to get it to work via port mappings with no luck. Halo the game uses UDP ports 3470 and sits on IP 0.0.0.1 and sends a broadcast out to 255.255.255.255.
    Since this did not work, Today I have found a solution!
    Xbox Linux Gateway. Links up systems over the internet.
    http://www.xboxgw.com/
    This is what you would need to play with me.
    I need someone who has a linux box where they can install the gateway software on, of course an xbox, and a hub between the xbox and the linux box, if you have a switch you will need to install a 2nd nic in the linux box and run a crossover cable to it. Please goto the www.xboxgw.com as it explains how it works.
    LEt me know if you are interested,
    Thanks,
    David

19. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

David: for this Linux gateway thing: So the High Speed Internet Connection goes into the Hub, the XBox goes into the Hub and the Linux Box goes into the hub? I have that setup, no switches or routers and I have Redhat Linux. Do you think it's difficult to setup the software? I am a total Linux newby, could you provide some assistance?

I'm very interested, but not sure I could pull it off.

20. David Proud

Ryan, the highspeed internet connection can go into the hub, provided its a hub with internet sharing, like linksys or SMC. and yes, thats all that is needed to get it to work.
    I would be happy to help you out.
    email me contact info and a good time for us to set this up.
    [email protected]
    later,
    David