What's new

XBox lockup. (1 Viewer)

I received an XBox for Xmas and I have one question....Is it acceptable that my XBox locks up, at least once, each gaming session? I play Splinter Cell, Mech Assault and Madden. At least once a game it locks up and has to be turned off and back on in order to continue playing. Should I return it because it is a real annoyance? But, being Microsoft, does the system behave like the Windows operating system and crash for no reason? Any info would be much appreciated.

Darren K Price

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

no, you should return it because it is defective. I've had my X Box since the day the console was released and i've never once had a lockup. Considering it's a universal format that has to deal with dozens of variables i can forgive windows for an occasional crash but it should never be the case with a video game console.

Kami

Screenwriter
Yep, it's defective. That's TOTALLY unacceptable. My xbox has never had a hiccup in the 4-5 months I've had it, even with very long gaming sessions.

EdR

Second Unit
I wonder if the lockup you're describing is related to the disc reading problems. I've had a few occasons where the game I'm playing starts to stutter, literally freezing intermittently, the audio screws up. If I let it go on long enough, eventually I get the 'dirty disc' error, but I usually just reboot because I know it won't recover.

Are these the kinds of symptoms you're seeing, or is it different?

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I've had it lock up a couple of times on NFL2k3, but I think it might be just the dirty disk error. But yeah if it is locking up on every session then you need to return it.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
EdR,

So, if one was getting this sort of thing, would one be reasonable in wanting to to get their Xbox replaced or repaired? Sounds like you're living with it...

Martin.

EdR

Second Unit
So, if one was getting this sort of thing, would one be reasonable in wanting to to get their Xbox replaced or repaired? Sounds like you're living with it...
I am living with it...for now at least. It's fairly rare so far, I'd say that I've had about 10-15 episodes of dirty disc, and of those about 3 or 4 interrupted a game (the worst was during a boss battle in PDO).

The rest were all at times when the disc was being accessed during a load (between games, starting a game, etc) so i didn't lose anything but a few minutes of my time.

I am considering contacting MS about it, but I guess I'm kind of lazy. If the problem was more common, like Darren's I wouldn't hesitate to get it fixed/replaced.

All of my discs are brand new so I doubt it's dirt. It doesnt stutter it just locks. It's going back. Thanks for the help guys!

Darren K Price

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks