xbox live wireless router

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Jan 6, 2003.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I will be getting online soon and currently have an SMC Barricade router. I bought a long cat5 cable already in preperation of it, but now I'm thinking I might want to go wireless for the xbox. What I want to know is if anyone is experiencing any lag with wireless and also, which router is panning out to be the best wireless router for the xbox? I really like my SMC router and just got an email from outpost.com that they have the SMC wireless router (SMC7004VWBR Barricade 802.11b) for $99 with $50 rebate. Has anyone had experience with this router working right? If not, which wireless router in the $100-$150 range is worthwhile? Should I just stick with my current router? Thanks for the help.

2. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I have the Linksys Wireless Router with 4 port switch and the WET11 wireless bridge connected to the xbox without any problems. I have no lag and it's been great!

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Romar, lemme see if I understand your configuratino correctly. Your X-Box is using the wireless bridge to communicate with your Linksys router. Unless you are paying for a Static IP, your router gets an IP from your ISP's DHCP server, and this IP becomes the WAN IP.
    Now, is it safe to assume that your Linksys is also running a DHCP server and handing out IP's to networked devices connected to (and commnuicating with) the Linksys router? If so, this is pretty much how my home network is setup, with the note that I have a static IP on my router (SMC).
    But, I am using firewalling on my router, and unless I know what IP the X-Box is being assigned (I can inspect the new MAC address in the router and associated IP for the X-Box, which also means I should be able to determine who makes the NIC chips [​IMG] too). Now, unless I determine the X-Box's assigned LAN I address to place in the DMZ, I have to place the X-Box behnid the router's firewall.
    Well, i do not mnid the X-Box being behind the firewall, but what ports are necessary to be open for routine gameplay? Keep in mind that I work 2nd shift and doing this at the workplace. This also means I cannot go to any gaming-specific websites, including xbox.com. [​IMG]
    Which is why I ask.