What's new

Xbox Live: What's Next? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks.
Is there anywhere online I get can a look at what these two will look like? A friend mentioned a Star Wars - related RPG that's coming out soon, but I think it's a different one.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you can take a look at some screenshots of the PC version of Star Wars Galaxies here:
SWG screenshots
There is both an Xbox and PS2 version of the game in development.
You can read more about True Fantasy Live Online here:
True Fantasy
The game is being developed by Level 5, creators of the game Dark Cloud and the up and coming Dark Could 2 for the PS2. Looks to be pretty intersting.
A friend mentioned a Star Wars - related RPG that's coming out soon, but I think it's a different one.
That would be Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Developed by the almighy Bioware (Of Baldurs Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights fame). You can take a gander at this bad boy here(68 screens and story details):
SW KOTR info
You can also view the previews and more here:
More SW KOTR info

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of UT2K3 and UC. I'm curious about what you don't like about them. I'd appreciate if you could provide some more details or link to an existing discussion on this topic. I'm not interested in starting a debate, just trying to gain some insights.
These two new games are all about speed. That can be a good thing but the developers seem to have used speed to cover up the fact that there are no strategic elements to the gameplay. It's become a 100% "twitch" game and lost all the strategic fun of the previous Unreal Tournament. To see how twitch gaming can be done while still maintaining strategy look no further than Quake III. That's why the original UT was so much fun: it was a slower, more strategic FPS while QIII was the fast paced arcade varient of the same game.

UT was still fast but the levels were designed such that one could assume several different strategies. The levels gave you room to play a fast, close-up game (like UT2003) or step back and launch rockets from a distance (which is significantly less possible in the new games). You could even camp out in a spot and be a sniper if you felt like it (something totally impossible in the current games).

I blame most of this on the level design of the new game. The levels in UT2003 are designed in such a manner to squeeze as many people together as possible into as small a space as possible. The levels also force players to be visible to most on-screen players...so there are few hiding places. The result is the impression that there are more people online than there actually are and you're using your weapons at much closer ranges than you did on UT.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Anything like Rallisport coming down the pipe? I know PGR2 is coming but I did not like it as much as Rallisport.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks