1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

XBOX Live/Router questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Maury Alamin, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Maury Alamin

Maury Alamin Auditioning

I know NOTHING about home networking so please bear with me.

Does anyone notice ANY slowdown on their computer when using a router. What do I look for before purchasing a router. Does anyone have any suggestions. Would anyone recommend a wireless router and are they slower than the other kind?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

If you have DSL or cable for access, you won't notice much slowdown putting multiple computers on the same hub unless each computer is trying to d/l multiple files at the same time. I can game on my PC while my wife cruises the web on her wireless laptop with no noticable affects.

Go to the dlink or linksys homepages and look at their goodies: basically the biggest choice to make is wired or wireless? We use both in our house and speed is slower for wireless but is baiscally unnoticable (slower to the PC, but to a user it is still more than fast enough.)

If you are on the line and have the budget, I would go wireless. If you have a laptop that likes to move around the house, or Xbox downstairs and PCs upstairs it really makes life a lot simpler. I'm going to hook the Xbox up with wireless once Live! comes out this month.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

PS - what is your setup at home Maury? Multiple PCs in different rooms, or just a PC and Xbox in the same room?

4. Maury Alamin

Maury Alamin Auditioning

Thanks Joe,

Up until about a month ago I'd been running my cable modem to my old beige MAC G3 and my internet speed was adequete and I was used to it. Then I bought this disgustingly fast and powerful Dell and my internet speed is almost instantaneous and much faster than the T1 network we run at work. I had no idea I could achieve this kind of speed at home. So you can probably guess, I want to maintain this speedy experience.

By the way, my PC and XBOX are in opposite corners of my living room and I think I'm leaning toward a wireless network because I don't want to(or feel like) laying cables from one end of my living room to the other.

Maury