XBOX Live on a simple network

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I haven't tried this yet, but I wanted to know if I could expect any problems using Live with my setup.

I have Bellsouth DSL with an ethernet modem. The modem connects directly to my Syslink hub, then to my PC's (apparently the modem acts as a router as well?).

What will I need to do to get Live working? I've read the instructions on the xbox site, but they all talk about router configuration etc. I guess there will be settings in my modem I have to adjust?

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

If you just use a hub, it may work, but it will depend on your ISP. Each device you have plugged into your network requires a seperate IP address, which would be supplied (usually automically) by your ISP. If you're limited to only 1 IP address then you will need to get a 2nd one from your ISP (usually at an additional charge) or get a router.

3. DonWeb

DonWeb Auditioning

Most DSL providers allow you to have whatever you want behind the modem/router. You can typically plug in 250 machines if you want.

I am not familiar with what ports Xbox Live uses but it will likely be a fairly common port and plug and play. Your Xbox should snag it's own IP address and the modem/router will take of the rest from there.

On the off chance you have to configure something your ISP will walk you through it...CBOS is really simple and easy to learn so don't sweat it.

4. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

If my modem doesn't hook up to a hub, should i buy a hub or a router to hook up an xbox?

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

6. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

The netgears will work but you will need to go in and change a setting or 2 to make sure everything is forwarded. There is a list at xboxlive.com that tells which routers will work out of the box.

Mike LS,

you can probably plug the xbox right into the hub and be good to go. Bellsouth does support Live.

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Cool. Thanks for the info.