XBox Live Newbie - Do I need the headset?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Carlo Medina, Feb 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hi All,

I just bought the Clone Wars/Tetris Worlds package used from EB (my gf loves Tetris and she can kick my ass so I had to buy it to keep the her happy [​IMG] ). When I got home I was surprised to find the 2-month free XBox Live coupon still inside, with the activation number still hidden behind that silver Lotto scratch-off stuff (hence the previous owner didn't activate that account).

When I put the disc in it "updated" my XBox to XBL capable automatically, but I haven't had the chance to buy a CAT5 cable just quite yet to activate the 2 month free trial.

My question is this: do I need to buy the Communicator Headset before I try to go onto XBox Live? Or can I get by without it?

I have until end of March to use this trial so I can wait a bit before plopping down $30 for the headset (just spent crazy cash on Valentines/BDays/Anniversary and the like). But if I don't need the headset I'm going to connect to XBL within a day or two.

2. Carlo Medina

Oh I don't know if it matters (i.e. if some games require the headset and some don't), but the games I would play online would be:

Crimson Skies
    Mechwarrior
    Unreal Championship

Thanks in advance!

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

you dont need it. But i would recommend it expecially for team games

capt

4. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Don't need it, but as stated above, it helps in team games, and you may find that some people will not want you on their team without it...

5. Carlo Medina

Okay so I gather Unreal is a team game, so that's one for the headset.

Has anyone played Crimson Skies or Mechwarrior Online? Are those team or individual (i.e. one-on-one, one-vs-many) games?

Man, I may have to drop $30 on this. [​IMG]

6. James St

James St Supporting Actor

All games support voice chat and it has been the best feature for me on Live. Without the headset you will hear everyone talking through your speakers but you won't be able to talk back.

You may want to consider just buying the Xbox Live starter kit for $70. You will get a headset, the full version of Mechassault and a one year subscription. Milk your trial sub and then update the dashboard with the one year code when the trial runs out. This will give you about 14 months of Live gaming.

7. Carlo Medina

Okay - a quantitative question:

Has anyone compared the official headset to the knockoffs? I've seen some headsets (MadCatz? Datel?) that aren't $30 but rather $10 or less. Are those any good?

8. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes I shut off the headset/don't use it in a public server because there is so much nonsense going on. In some games you can still hear them thru the TV speakers you just can't speak.

I have the cheap $5 Mad Catz earpiece and it works pretty good. Some people have complained that they heard reverb on some but I never have.

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to Hardware.

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The best price for the starter kit I've found is through Costco.com for around 60.00.