Xbox live etiquette - questions on 2k3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin_Frohlich, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Martin_Frohlich

Martin_Frohlich Stunt Coordinator

I played my first Xbox live game last night. I popped in NFL2k3 and looked for someone to play. I just went out and challenged people until someone accepted. I lost badly (41-13) though it was close through 3 quarters but then he/she ran away with it late. I do have some questions.
    1)I couldn’t complete many passes , with most of them missed. I read another thread on 2k3 on this forum and think I have some good tips. Do most of you use maximum passing feature (I have never tried it before).
    2)He would bring a line backer and blitz him from the sides like a corner with great success, often causing me to rush a throw or get hit while I was throwing.
    3)He taunted me a lot. Is this common on-line??? I am a big boy and can take it but just don’t want to do it to others if I just happened to match up with a punk. He would do instant replays over and over anytime he scored, or interecepted me or had a big play.
    4)I am a newbie but if anybody wants to play tonight (or tomorrow or Thursday night) around 8 or 8:30 E.S.T then I would love to hook up. E-mail me at [email protected] . My handle by the way is "frohlich".
    5)Is it common for people to only play with the best teams?? I would assume this would be an easy edge.
    Thanks for listening.

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

A lot of people move players around at the line of scrimage to get sacks. Just happens. As for the taunting. ive only had live since saturday and ive played NHL and NFl . Only had one person who taunted so it all depends on the person. It like everything else in this world. You always find a bad bunch but so far my experience has been enjoyable. Nothing like playing vs people from other areas and canada and being able to talk to them

As for tonight. I can play a game of NFL if you want. Ill send you off a e-mail in case you dont see this post before then

My gamertag is CaptDS9E

3. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

From the games I've played I wouldn't say thats the norm. You'll get better and yes maximum passing will help. Mainly just practice. I had some kids that were trying to talk crap at me but by the third quarter when they were down 21-0 they kinda shut up. 28-0 was final score with them changing there attitude to asking how to do things rather than talking smack. Takes time and practice and I still suck. If you see me online feel free to challenge me. Unless I have a league game to play I'll usually play whoever.

4. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

1) I think max passing will be very helpful once I get the hand of it. I'm still sucking hard at the time being.
    2)Try rolling to the other side or stepping up. There's a problem with the way linemen block, though. Sometimes they'll get crossed up and just stand there, turning left and right, while a rusher goes right past -- very frustrating. If I see a blitz, I try to find a reciever that will be open and maybe change his route to something shorter.
    3)I've only had a couple taunters. One time, I had 3 buddies over to help me out, so we just did it right back. With 4 guys, I had much better luck running, so we ended up doing most of the replays, but we only did it because the other guy started it. I wouldn't normally be an ass like that [​IMG] I've also had a taunter on NHL2k3. He scored in the first minute on a breakaway. "There's many more to come like that one," he boasted. Maybe he was good, but I managed to hold him off and score a couple goals in the next period. When he pulled his goalie in the 3rd, I scored another to bury the hatchet ... then the bastard disconnected on me. Lamer could talk it up, but didn't have the balls to finish his own game. *disgust*
    4)I might be online, so just add my to your list and send an invite.
    5)I think for random games it is. I picked Oakland once and before I realized it, the other guy picked the NE Alumni! I held on for the first half, but eventually he ran the score up. I'll probably join a league because of this. Always playing with the top teams gets boring.

5. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

If someone is constant blitzing an LB from the outside, which I see quite often when I play NFL 2k2, I will just sit back there and pass to the tight end all day long.

Usually I can tell by their strategy whether they are a kid of not. I usually dont where my communicator when I play 2k2. I mean one game, my tight end had 350 yards recieving.

But I have played against some real jerks. This one guy kept on pressing pause when I dropped back to pass which would throw me off when he unpaused it. And he would sack me. So then I started doing that to him, and he promptly quit.

-- Matt

6. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Man...speaking as a software developer (though not a game developer), I would think they could eliminate some of these annoyances with a little bit of planning.

Turn off instant replays in multiplayer (who REALLY needs this feature)

Letting players pause only between plays

Maybe even agreeing in the game setup screen whether voice chat is on or off

Only giving you so much "pause time" per game so you cannot stall forever (I think some games are already doing this).

I just wish the game developers wouldn't be so naive and think they can just throw the single player version out there and think everyone will be a good sport and not abuse the system. This is going to be an issue of increasing importance as the online gaming industry grows. Players are not going to pay money each month to be abused and (in PC gaming's case) cheated on. Consoles do have a much better shot at cleaning things up over PCs since it is so much more difficult to manipulate the client application on a console.

7. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I have had pretty good luck with NFL 2k3.

I did play against another guy last night that was a real jerk. He replayed almost every big play and talked alot of smack.

The most frustrating thing was that he would do an onsides kick every time. But he would lineup normally for the kickoff, and then kick to the right side of the field. I cant figure out how to line up for that....If I chose "Onsides Kick Return" my whole team lines up on the left side of the field. So I would stay in normal kick return formation and hope for the best. He recovered a couple of them, and of course replayed the play about a dozen times.

It took only a couple of drives to adjust to his style of play. He would go for the long pass most of the time. So I started blitzing heavily. At one point I recorded 5 consecutive sacks on him (at which point the trash talking and constant replays stopped completely).

I was able to pull out a 1 point win.

Does anyone know what the "Send Feedback" option is used for?? Can you view your feedback, or that of other players? I think it is a good idea...assuming there is some way to view players feedback.

Jeff

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Nearly everyone I play has been bad to play against. Yes I suck but I'm getting better. I hate it when they are up by 30+ points with little time left and still use time outs to score AND go for a 2 point conversion.....makes me mad. I don't use the mic cause I don't want some punk talking smack while I'm struggling.

9. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

If you guys are interested in playing straigh up football with no BS thats not realistic check out www.fgonline.org . They have nfl2k3 and madden 2003 power rankings there. The madden is only for ps2 though. nfl2k3 is for both ps2 and xbl. Basicly a group of guys that have been playing football games online since dreamcast and nfl2k1. They have very simple rules. Basicly if a NFL coach would do it then its ok. But you'll have more than enough people to plan against. If you want a serious game against some really really good players thats the place to go.

10. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Mike,

Thanks for that link - I think I'm going to check it out. Kind of a confusing site, though. How do you get games there?

11. Howie D

Howie D Stunt Coordinator

Jason, I'm in the PR league as well. You just add guys that are members of the PR's to your friends list and invite them if you see them online. Or you can go to the forums there and try to get a game. Add me to your friends list and we can get a game going sometime. As an added benefit, you'll most likely win because I can't seem to win against any of the PR guys.

Gamertag: SPAZ

12. Martin_Frohlich

Martin_Frohlich Stunt Coordinator

Just an update. I played twice last night with much better results. Once against "Joe Nazarri" from this forum and then against a quick match opponent I happened to hook up with. Both were true gentlemen. Thanks again Joe.

13. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

Basicly just do as Howie says. After you sign up for a login for the xbl2k3 power rankings you can find lists of people on there. What I would recommend is don't add anyone that doesn't have a Quality rating. And then probably not anyone under a 8. Those are going to be people that have played at least 5 PR games and they didn't annoy the other side too much. After adding them to your friends list its just a matter of going on XBL looking at your friends list and inviting one of them to play. Identify yourself as a new Power ranking player and most of them will guide you along if you do something wrong or if you have any questions. Don't let spaz fool you he's a good player. Just ends up on the bad side of big plays [​IMG] , Still he's in my top 5 to play against just for the conversation. If you have any other questions ask me here or ask on the xbl 2k3 power ranking forum which is a section of the FGonline forums or email me/PM me.

14. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Howie, I was unable to add you to my friends list - says your list is full...

15. Howie D

Howie D Stunt Coordinator

I'll clear some names out and make some room.

Gamertag: SPAZ