What's new

Xbox Live disconnecting and router firmware upgrade taking too long (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Ok, I bought a Linksys router BEFSR81 v3. I am having a lot of trouble with the Xbox 360 not able to keep up the connection for very long. Before I set up the router, I did not have the convinience of connecting xbox and pc simultaneously to the net.

My pc is not experiencing any problems; however, as I said, Xbox Live gets disconnected so often that it is annoying. This did not happen before.

Going to the help chat at linksys.com is a waste of time. So I decide to upgrade the FIRMWARE, but it is taking forever. Now I am afraid to stop the upgrade since I get this message saying not to interrupt the upgrade. The upgrade has been running for more than 2 hours, and I cannot believe it can take this long.

I left a message via email with linksys.com but I will probably not get answers until Monday.

Any advice here?

Regards,
orestes

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The firmware upgrade should only take a few minutes.

Did you configure the router for Xbox live or did you just plug it in?

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Patrick:

I am about to give up on this router. The router "supposedly" was correctly set up for Xbox Live (I own an xbox 360). I tried so many things to make it work, but in the end I am getting kicked out of Xbox Live too often.

About the firmware, I left a message at linksys.com so that I can track better whatever they are saying. I did go back into the help chat, and I was told how to reset the router. Btw, I reset the router 3 more times since I tried "unsuccessfully" to upgrade the firmware. The third time I left the router set up for the xbox and pc once more, but now I am experiencing problems with my pc.

I do have a very good connection. I had the pc and xbox 360 connected to a netgear switch which is more than 2 years old, and I had no problems with connection drops.

I just bought the router because I was not able to have simultaneous internet connections for my PC and Xbox 360. Also I was not able to set up Xbox so that I could play music and pictures from my PC. With the router this functionality of the xbox is working fine.

I am tired of trying to make something work for more than 3 days. The worse part is that I get conflicting advice whenever I talk to a linksys tech person.

I am going to give it a week before I actually give up and dump this trash router into a trash can. I am very disappointed, and I guess I wasted a good $100 and my time.

Regards,
orestes

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I had the same issue with wanting to use my 360 while my PC was on the DSL and I got a Netgear router for 50 bucks and it works great. The only time it seems to have an issue is if I am downloading something large at the same time I am on Xbox Live. I didn't think that would be an issue but it seems to be. Much cheaper than the 100 bucks, that is for sure. Good lucK!

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Phil:

Can you tell me the model of your Netgear router? Btw, I am now looking for another router, a wired router. All my equipment is just in one room, thus I don't need or trust wireless. I'd like to have a router with 8-ports, but I was looking thru amazon.com and I could not find many.

Another requirement here is that I am able to do huge downloads from the internet. I read this review at amazon.com where the reviewer bought this game D-link router, and he was having lots of trouble using or downloading torrent files which usually are big files. He explained that his connection froze most of the time.

Anyway, I think the Linksys BEFSR81, which has good reviews over the Internet is a piece of JUNK. I have no complain about the support I got from Linksys, but Linksys got me on my bad side. I don't think I ever buy another product from Linksys as long as I live.

Regards,
orestes

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I know you are probably gun-shy with Linksys, but I have the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster. My PCs are both connected wirelessly, and my Xbox and Xbox360 are hardwired. I've had no problems with it at all, and the Xbox and Xbox360 required nothing more than plugging the ethernet cable in and the connection to the internet worked instantly. Setting up Windows Media Connect to stream my media to the Xbox360 was also problem free.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Bryan:

I will try to exchange the Linksys router tomorrow if it is possible. I am looking at a different brand of router for the exchange, a D-link router. At this point in time I can't find a 8-port router anywhere. Actually the D-link router I want has just 4 ports, and this does not make me very happy. Soon I will buy a PS3 and possible a Nintendo Wii, and then I will not have enough ports to connect all my equipment.

Currently I own a US PS2, a Japanese PS2 (both with HDs), and the Nintendo Cube. If I connect the laptop, desktop, and xbox 360 to a 4-port router, then I have one more port free. Where I am going to connect the newer stuff?

I don't like wireless networking, for I live in a small apartment and I prefer to have everything wired. I think a wired network is simpler than a wireless to set up.

Let me see what happens tomorrow at the CompUsa store where I will go to try to exchange the router.

I work with computers all day long, and I don't want to spend more working time at home than I have to. Linksys support was fine, but Linksys product sucks in my book.

Regards,
orestes

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
If still interested, I am using a wireless router (my PC and 360 are wired but i wanted wireless for my work laptop) from Netgear. It is modelWGR614 v.6.

Good luck!

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Bryan:

Thanks. If the exchange does not work either, then I will buy that one. I looked at the same router at compusa.com but it is not available at the store near where I live.

This kind of things I like to buy it at a store for the same reason that the exchange can be made much easier if at all.

I don't think the store will exchange it for the one at the web site. I will post here again if I can make the new router work. Eventually I will be looking to a router like the one you pointed out.

Regards,
orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Bryan:

I got the D-link DI-604 with 4-ports. I hooked it, and it is now working. So far it looks as if there were no problems. I am crossing my fingers.

Currently I am downloading a demo game from Xbox Live, and I have not been disconnected. I am listen to music on my PC thru the Xbox and my Denon 3300 receiver, and it all looks OK. I just checked the download, and it is at 42%.

The only bad thing about this router is its 4 ports, but other than this limitation, I am somewhat optimistic about this little router. Oh I almost forgot to mention that I am even streaming video from the net on my PC, and I don't see any problems. So I putting this set up thru its paces right now.

For now, I will leave it as it is. I did not monkey around with any settings at the router browser setup.

Thanks to everyone for lending his/her advice and listening to my problems.

Regards,
orestes
P.S. I got my money back for the Linksys sucker, and I only paid $62 for this one.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Glad to hear you got it working, Orestes. Streaming music from your PC to your 360/Home Theater is nice isn't it! :D

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I have the same router, do a search on the tech support forum on the Xbox forums on that router and you will see alot of people were having problems, I turned the firmware back to a compatible version/supported and the issues started, when the original firmware became supported I went back to it.

Beware there are many games that will drop you, the problem is with the Xbox(or the game) not your router, so keep that in mind, enjoy the Dlink

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
Note that you can always buy another switch and cascade it off of your router. So if you get another 4-port switch, that will give you an extra 3 ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks