XBOX Live connectivity question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jeff Cooper, Nov 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Hi folks, I have a general question about the XBOX live service. Is it set up to only work with a specific XBOX?

In other words let's say I don't have XBOX live, but my friend does. I own a game that has extra downloadable content for it. I would like to get that content, but really have no interest in signing up for LIVE. Can I take my XBOX over to my friends place, plug it in to his connection and download what I need, or will it reject the connection, cause it's not the same box?

Thanks for any info.

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

As far as I know you CANT do what you want to do. THe files are inside HIS xbox not the connection

You could copy the files on to a memory card but i think most of the content is to big for a memory card (example.... kola level for splinter cell)

3. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Thanks, i'm not sure if we're on the same page though. I didn't mean copy from his XBOX to mine, I meant plug my XBOX into his broadband connection, then sign on to XBOX live with my XBOX, but using his account. Then download directly from the servers to my own XBOX.

Are there XBOX live files on his box that need to be there for the login to succeed? If so, can those be copied with a memory unit?

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm going to move this thread. The purpose of the new forum is for scheduling online gaming sessions.

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Jeff, in order to use your friends XBOX Live account on your Xbox, you'll need to put in the installation CD (that came with his package) to install Live to the dashboard. After that, simply use a memory card to transfer his profile from his XBOX onto yours. It doesn't matter where you are. As long as you have his profile, you'll be able to connect to the service. Just be sure to delete it after you're done. You don't want to be accused of misuising it[​IMG]

6. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

yep, it does not matter what X-Box you do it from. You just have to pop the live CD in and set up his profile. I had an X-Box hooked up to Live and had problems with the console. Games kept freezing up so I returned it for another one. I put the Live CD in the new one and I can access Live with no problems.

7. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

OK, cool. Thanks guys. One more question, I don't recall off the top of my head, but my XBOX is pretty new, and I think it came with live already on the dashboard. If the 'XBOX Live' selection is on the dashboard already, can I skip the CD installation thing?

8. Mark Shannon

Really? It came with Live preinstalled? Well if so, then skipping the installation doesn't seem to be a problem. Just transfer his profile to yours using a memory card, and you're all set.

Speaking of Live, I'm pretty pissed... my headset broke yesterday, and I don't want to have to spend $50 just for another one!

9. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I got a new xbox, and live is already on the menu also.....

why?

do I need to just hook up it up to the internet and put in my CC info?

what about the comunicator?

10. Mark Shannon

Dave, you don't need the communicator to use Live, it's just an added bonus. I haven't seen an xbox with live preinstalled, but I'm guessing you just provide the CC info and you're all set.

11. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mark, dont buy another headset. I have heard (not tried it myself) that cell phone headsets work just as well. If you have one try that first.

12. Mark Shannon

Well, I don't have one. Right now, I'm just using a winter headband around my head, and sticking the microphone/speaker piece in there... works for now, until I can get another headset of any kind.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer