Xbox Live Connection Speeds

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Benson R, Jan 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I realize this may belong in hardware but I found very few xbl threads over there.

I figured out how to check my connection speed with xbox live so my question is what kind of download and upload speeds do I need for a reliable connection?

Also I have a question about homenetworking. I live in a University owned house and our internet comes from a cable modem connection fromt the local cable company. The cable modem for the house is already connected to a router in the basement which connects to the jack in my room. Can I have both my computer and the xbox online at the same time by just using a hub (since the house already has a router) or do I need to connect a router to the jack in my room.

2. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

You should be able to just use a switch or hub. Are you using DHCP, or do you have an assigned IP? If you are only allowed one IP, then you might have to work a little harder to get everything connected.

What are you using to check the Xbox's network speed? I've got a couple little programs that show me the network traffic for the computer on which it's running, but I'm not sure how I'd set it up to snoop for the Xbox. Or, is this something that monitors traffic for the entire router?

3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Daren, if you connect to XBL through the dashboard, you can hit the "Y" button and a dropdown box will show your download, upload, packets, and latency. It's a quick-and-dirty test and not as reliable as a true speedtest (e.g. the one on broadbandreports.com), but it tends to be relatively close.

As far as optimal speeds, obviously faster is better, but I would say to be able to play most games smoothly, your upload speed should be at least 50 or 60kbps. Mine hovers between 60 and 100, and generally I can play with no problem. Hosting, however, requires quite a bit more--I would say at least 200, and even that may only allow 4 or 5 players in Ghost Recon. To get 10 or 12 people like Chris (Ruffneck) does, I'd imagine you'd have to be up around 600-800kbps for upload speed.

Just my estimations, though--I'm not a network guy by any stretch.

4. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Dave,

Exactly what screen are you at on the dashboard when you hit Y to check your connection speed? I tried it today with no luck.

5. Benson R

Off the top of my head I think you go to settings and than advanced and then you hit y.

6. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

That sounds about right...I'm at work right now and I can't check for you, but I think it is under "Advanced". I'll see if I can dig up detailed instructions and post them.

*edit: Okay, it looks like you select Xbox Live from the dashboard, go to Network Setup, click "Connect", and then when you are connected you hit "Y" to bring up the box. Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll check it when I get home today.

7. Benson R

I have a couple questions about network performance.

I have been getting good performance from mechassault and ok performance with Unreal. I played 1 game of nhl2k3 and experienced no problems. However today I tried nfl2k3 and can't seem to get a game going. I played one quarter fine then a minute into the 2nd the game came to a crawl and kept giving an error about waiting for response from remote host. I tried a little later to start a game but I couldn't get past the team selection and I kept getting that same error.

I checked my connection speed according to the dash board. Down I was getting about 1900, up about 85-100, latency of about 100-125 and packet loss of 8/8. Yesterday was the same except my upload was closer to 150-200 but that was late at night.

Have other people been having nfl2k3 problems or is it likely my isp? Also in Unreal most of the time it is fine but occasionaly I have problems with players jumping positions. I figure this is lag, but is it lag from me or from them? Any help would be appreciated.

8. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I have a strange issue. My router (RT314) is known to have issues with Xbox Live. I tried the work-around posted by Microsoft, and it works great for Unreal and Mechassault, but MotoGP has intermittent dropouts.

Does MotoGP use a specific port that the other games don't?

9. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I find that the Xbox Live report is always lower -- and often WAY lower -- than my broadbandreports results. I don't really trust the XBL test too much, frankly.

10. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

Up until I had to swap my Motorola Cable modem for a Toshiba (PCX2200), I was always told I could only host 3 in GR Coop mode. However, I was always able to hold 6 with little or no lag. The dashboard test gave me about 100 kbps up, whereas broadbandreports.com would always test me right around my cap at 384 kbps up. That said, it would seem that the dashboard test is truly pretty unreliable.

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

12. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer