Xbox live, connecting with Earthlink DSL and linksys router.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy_Nelson, Oct 30, 2002.

  1. Jeremy_Nelson

    Jeremy_Nelson Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2002
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Maybe someone can help me. I just got my xbox live beta kit today and can't get online. When I run network settings get green across the board and it says that I'm connected. But when I go create my account, I select Unitedstates for my billing and I get the message "Xbox live is not responding. Please try again later."
    I called tech support, the guy took down my error codes and said I would be contacted by email.
    I'm using a Sprint 645 series cable modem and a linksys BEFSR11. When I connected my xbox to my network a few weeks ago in anticipation for playing xbox live (my xbox works with gamespy tunnel btw) the tech for sprint mentioned that this DSL modem was pretty much a built in router. I don't know if thats the reason why I can't connect using direct connect as well.
    http://betaforums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61966
    If you scroll down to the 4th post in that link, you'll see he has pretty much the same equipment I do (I'm pretty sure my Sprint 645 series is just a rebadged Zyxel Prestige 600 series modem. Setting my MTU to 1492 as he later sugest didnt help either.
    I've tried the other things you would imagine ofc, opening my ports, setting the xbox as DMZ.
    Anyone hear of this problem with this equipment / isp? Any suggestions?
     
  2. Romier S

    Romier S Producer

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 1999
    Messages:
    3,526
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Jeremy,
    I work for Earthlink and I can try to help you as much as possible.(though I havn't done support in a LOOOONG time[​IMG]) Usually in this sitiuation the first thing one of our techs would have you do is eliminate the router out of the equation and do a direct connect.
    Remove the router, plug the Etherenet cable into the DSL modem (The Sprint 645) and then directly into the Xbox. Under the connection setup for XBL activate PPPOE and enter your earthlink username and password (since we do in fact require PPPOE). Finish the setup and do a connection test and see if that works for you.
    Also the Sprint 645 modem can indeed act as a bridge/router (and being that I've been off the phones for support for a long while) but I do believe that that portion of the modem is deactivated by default (It is setup that way for Earthlink) and would need to be activated by telnetting into the modem or doing a firmware upgrade on the modem itself.(Again Ive been off the phones for awhile so my knowledge of the modem is a little fuzzy[​IMG]). I can double check that for you, but either way I do believe that the modem wouldn't really be the source of your trouble.
    Try the direct connection route and if that works you can pretty much bet on a router misconfiguration problem of some type (Remember that we do require PPPOE on Earthlink so you may need to activate that in your router setup.).
     
  3. Jeremy_Nelson

    Jeremy_Nelson Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2002
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Thanks Romier for your help. After your post I had pretty much given up, because I had tried doing a direct connect before. I was calling sprint to find out if they had any other supported modems I could purchase that might work (they didn't). I was transfered to tech support where I talked to a very good tech, Mr. Green ( I say mister because I've already forgot his first name, my short term memory isnt what it used to be, but I did remember long enough to leave him a complement with this boss).
    Anyways long story short here is how to fix it incase anyone else is having this problem ( based on what I've read on the beta forums quite a few are).
    Here is Joos's solution:
    I figured it out and I am now officialy LIVE for the first time since the update!!
    Here's the fix 645 users!!
    START / RUN ----- TYPE: telnet(space)192.168.1.1 (enter)
    PASSWORD ---- 1234 (enter)
    take option 1 (enter)
    change ROUTE to No, change BRIDGE to Yes (enter until you get back to the main menu)
    take option 11 (enter)
    change ROUTE to None, change BRIDGE to Yes (enter until you get back to the main menu)
    take option 99 (enter)
    From here is where I had to do it a little differently, left all the settings in the live control panel to automatic, went into my router and set the xbox as DMZ, opened the ports and switched its mode to PPPoE.
    That's it, once I had my router do the PPPoE instead of the xbox everything worked fine.
    Hope that helps someone, after I get to play a little, going to go on hold,..err call xbox support and let them know, there are at least a few dozen others with this problem.
     

Share This Page