XBox in the UK...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Feb 21, 2002.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Well it's out here very soon and i have to say the marketing 'blitz' has been subdued to say the least. Apart from ads in game stores/magazines and a display machine in HMV i've seen nothing of the box here. The display box in HMV had Amped running and playable...have to say it didnt impress me in the slightest, why they dont have Halo running is beyond me. Releasing it here at £300 compared to £199 (rumours of £170 v.soon) for a PS2 or £150 for a Gamecube does not make it a very tempting purchase.

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, I have to say I kind of disagree on the marketing thing. Trying to ask a question of an EB or GAME employee without having to explain why I don't want to pre-order an X-Box has already been enough for me to stick to shopping elsewhere, and you don't seem to be able to move in Dixons for empty X-Box Boxes either. Some shops are refusing to stock it as Microsoft are being as bad as Nintendo with their retail margins, which is why its not hyped there.

As for why junk like Fuzion Frenzy and Death Wake (or whatever that 'speed'boat game is called) is being demoed when Halo is the killer app - its a handy thing called the 15 rating. Despite happy memories of seeing Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast in shops, they have been warned this time that they can't show any of that 15 rated gameplay, in case there are kids in the shop.

My only real gripe with the system though is the controllers. I was convinced that people were just making fun of them for laughs, or attacking it for being different to their PS2 controller, and I don't have a problem with my Dreamcast controls. It turns out they are indeed evilly uncomfortable - the trigger buttons in particular are _horrible_, like some really cheap knockoff of the DC controller I once had the misfortune to use.

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

£300!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, that's $427.43 USD!!!!!!!!!!

How do they expect Europeans to just take it in the behind like that? You're getting charged a whopping 42.5% more for the same piece of hardware compared to the US, and an even greater percentage more compared to Japan.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

First off, a good chunk of that 300ukp is tax - 17.5% VAT last time I checked, in the US that'd be added on after purchase, in the UK it's on /before/.

"Traditionally", imports convert from $1 to 1ukp instead of $1.45 to 1ukp. That's why so many people import games/machines from elsewhere...

5. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Iain, that's exactly what i mean, i don't see employees pushing pre-orders as good marketing! it put you off going in the shop for a start...even an edited video of Halo would be better than what i've seen so far. When the PS2 was released people went mad for it over here, even i bought into the hype and pre-ordered one, along with 10 or so of my mates. I doubt we'll see any long queues forming for an XBox and don't know anyone who's pre-ordered one.

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Oh, I didn't say that they had a good marketing campaign, just that they are doing one. One that seems primarily concerned with offering cash to EB to deny the Cube exists, by the sound of things [​IMG]
    With their price tag, they don't appear to be after the mainstream gamer yet, and are just marketing at the 'hardcore' at the moment, it seems.

7. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

To be fair i aint seen much of the Cube either, surely a 10second TV ad for Rogue Leader would help shift a fair few [​IMG]
    I think Sony know damn well they have a solid grip on the UK and are happily churning out PS2's here as fast as they can sell em...Offering the PS2 with MGS2 for £229 as well as the Platinum range of games (GranTurismo3, TekkenTag, Timesplitters etc for £20!)is another smart move and perfect timing just as the XBox is released here.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The new bargain range of PS2 games is great value. It's also a highly calculated spoiler against the XBox launch...

TTT vs DOA3

GT3 vs PGR

TimeSplitters/Red Faction vs Halo.

All at 20 ukp vs 40ukp...