What's new

Xbox.ign gives The Thing an 8.3 (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Finally, this looks like an Xbox game I might actually PURCHASE.
Link Removed
I loved the movie, and the game sounds good, despite the fact that it cheats at the whole "blood test" feature.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed CA's first game. If I can't find SMB2 or SOCOM/w Network Adaptor I might just pick this game up.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The only thing I'm really worried about is this game supposedly is really short. I think I read it at www.gamespot.com for the ps2 version. Something like 7 hours to finish it.
...that's shorter than Ico?!!? :confused:

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
With the large amount of great games coming out I don't have time anymore for the large 40+ hr games. 7 - 10hrs a game suits me just fine.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
7 - 10hrs a game suits me just fine.
That sounds about right for the game. I beat it last week about 2 days after getting it on the PS2. Its about Silent Hill 2, Max Payne length. It is however a recommended experience. While your playing it you wont notice the time fly by, youll be too busy trying to keep your soldiers alive and trusting you.

Also if you are a big fan of the movie this game is required playing. There are many moments meant specifically for those who have seen the movie. (some nice suprises too).

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Although I'm sure there has got to be some reason the Xbox version scores a 7 in graphics and an 8 in gameplay, compared to the 7.9 for graphics and 8.5 for gameplay for the PS2, they never tell you since it's the exact same review. Yet another reason I will never be an Insider, great game though :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
it's the exact same review.
Your absolutely right. I just read the review and its word for word identical to the PS2 review. That is just silly. They don't even mention the word "Xbox" in the review.

I know its difficult to say something different for a game that has been reviewed on another platform but why bother having different editors for different platforms if they are just going to recycle the same reviews amongst each other. At the very least they could have taken the Gamespot approach of using the same review and modifying it with platform specific information.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
At the very least they could have taken the Gamespot approach of using the
Which is another reason why I cancelled my insider subscription. It wasn't worth a shite.

Gamespot, on the other hand and, imho, is a much better service. Their movies blow IGN outta the water. I HATE that quicktime crap that IGN incessantly uses. And for some reason, I get lousy download speeds off of IGN, even though I have a nice, fat, DSL pipeline. Gamespot smokes!

I like Gamespots overall presentation better too. So, I subscribe to them now.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I just picked up the PC version today and so far it's an outstanding game. Pretty faithful to the movie also. It was cool seeing Blair's spaceship in a game.

The graphics kickass. They must be pretty bad on the X-Box to only get a 7 because I'd rate them at least a 9.5 on the PC. I'll probably rent the X-Box version anyhow because this game would be really cool in 5.1.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The Xbox version is supposed to ship today. Anyone pick it up yet? Mine should be in Friday.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
So did the Xbox version come out today? I stopped at a few stores on my way home from work. No luck. I saw Blade 2 available but didn't want to take a chance on it.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
It did come out today. I picked it up at EB and played it briefly. Not bad - my main disappointment is that it doesn't support 480p. I think this may be only the second XBOX game to not support progressive output.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have posted this in the movie software section as well.

Just picked up the game The Thing for my Xbox and received a promotional DVD of the movie as well. I already have the original collectors edition.

Imagine my shock when I looked at the labelling on the disc which states it is a promo DVD and that is 2.35 widescreen and anamorphic!

This is one of my favourite movies that I was dying to see get an anamorphic re-release!

Well thinking this might be a labelling error I rushed home to check the disc out. Sure enough the disc is anamorphic and sports the advantages of the process.

I'll do some more comparisons between the 2 discs to see how much of a difference there is.

What a nice bonus - this is a movie I would have gladly rebought if there was an anamorphic re-release! And now I have it for free!

The audio seems to be the same mix but I'll reserve judgement until I view it further.

Can anyone else verify this?

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to post that I too got this for PC and have to say its pretty decent... although the PC version had some sound issues on my system. Not a bad game and feels alot like the movie I think but I don't think its a game worth $50 either...

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Lou, where did you buy it from? I'll gladly pick up the X-Box version just for that bonus disc.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The bonus disc isn't anamorphic, it's mislabled. Just like the resolicitation of the regular DVD.

No 480p = No Sale.

-Dave

James Zos

Supporting Actor
"No 480p = No Sale."

So, DaveF, I take it prog scan makes a big difference? I'm not doubting you, I've just never had the chance to hook my Xbox up to a prog scan set.

"Just picked up the game The Thing for my Xbox and received a promotional DVD of the movie as well."

Lou, if you are going to make a post like that, you might anticipate that some forum members - like myself and Travis, for instance - are going to want to know where you got a deal like that from. So you might as well just include that information in your original post. But since you didn't, I'll repeat the request: Would you tell us where you got that deal from?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
:b :b :b :b :b
Sorry guys - I had checked the video from the projector(NEC LT150) which said it was receiving a non-interlaced signal.

Should have checked to see if the auto-scaling for my Panny RP91 was active - scales nonanamorphic to be anamorphic. It was active.

My bad.

James it was a pre-order promo through EB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks