1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

XBOX High Def Looks Lousy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Darren Mortensen, Feb 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I have my XBOX connected to my SONY HD Ready LCD Projector to throw the image to my 159" screen. DVD movies look fine during play back, as does acyual XBOX gameplay. However, when the actual game play switches to actual "movie clips" or CGI animation... the image is fuzzy and not nearly as sharp as the game play is.

This is noted on T:3 Return of the Machines and Enter The Matrix. Like I said the game looks great... but when it switches to the actual film footage...yeech!

Any ideas?

My XBOX is enabled for all HDTV sources... as is my projector, that is indicating a HD feed from the XBOX.

2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Did you post this over at AVS? Just asking because I replied asking which games, which are posted here. Both those games are lousy, and the CGI will generally look worse. Usually the movie footage in a game is not DVD quality anyway, but these two games are not that great graphically regardless.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Xbox HD looks lousy is a pretty big blanket statement based on two games. Try Prince of Persia, Project Gotham 2, Crimson Skies, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Halo to name but a few titles that have scored through the roof on graphics.

4. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

You also have to keep in mind that you are projecting a massive image and that is going to bring out all the flaws even more. Thats simply the reality of your large screen.

Dan

5. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Also keep in mind that although game play maybe for example 480p that the intercuts may not be 480p as well so you will notice a difference when jumping from scene to ingame play. Also the intercuts are video files so they may not be saved at a full screen size but say for example half screen size which would look good on average sized TV's but when blown up on a PJ really look noticebly different.

I have played quite a few different games on my XBOX with HD pack connected to my FPJ and I can say from experience as with all things, not all games are created equally, enter the matrix being one(IMHO). Where as Crimson Skies/Dragons Lair 3d/Halo, etc. look beautiful. (again IMHO)

cheers,

Zed

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Cut scenes are almost always of an inferior quality (save perhaps the ones that TECMO does for the Dead or Alive franchise). If the game looks good, and movies look good, it's gotta be the fault of the cut scenes' quality.

7. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I am a "novelty" gamer... so I really spend little time actually playing. I just assumed that the "cut scenes" would be "stunning" from a HD source.

8. The cut scenes (especially for games like LOTR, with scenes from the movie) in games are highly compressed, and are not DVD quality as Dean Said. I know this holds true for cut scenes in say LOTR, but what about games like Halo, and its cut scenes that are not from a movie???

9. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

It all comes down to the render quality of each game, every game is going to be different. For example when the replay of PG2 plays it looks beautiful in High Def (IMO).

In the end it just depends on how/what the publisher decided to make the game look like for quality.

cheers,

Zoran

10. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

DOA 3 will change your mind quickly.

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Ninja Gaiden will change your opinion even faster.

12. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

I already felt High Def on the xbox was the a thing of beauty and games couldn't look any better on xbox, but after I played Ninja Gaiden on High Def I realized i was wrong it just gets better and better.

cheers,

Zoran