xbox HDD size

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Nguyen, Nov 23, 2001.

1. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

found in the teamxbox forums:
    http://forums.teamxbox.com/showthrea...threadid=41591

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Wow and here I was thinking it was simply a 10 gig drive, but it sounds so much better when you put it that way. [​IMG]
    Max

3. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

5,297.Is that all!! [​IMG]

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Then again, I don't think people will actually fill up an entire 10 gig hard drive with game saves, which is what the GCN uses memory cards for.

If you're also using it for music and downloading, then I guess it seems like the better deal.

Then again, Nintendo could still release a HDD for the GameCube. If it was $100 and equal in size to the X-Box HDD, then it would be somewhat equal.

Nonetheless, thats a lot of space.

5. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

I'm sure the remark about comparing it to GC memory cards was meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously.

The point in my posting this was to answer the numerous ponderings to just how many blocks the xbox had when it lists "50,000+" despite HTFers saving hundreds and in some cases thousands of blocks onto their machines without getting the indicator to budge.

And it's looking like I personally might never get the thing to budge in my xbox's lifetime....even if I never delete a saved game or song I ever rip on there, I'll still have plenty of room...my 40 or so songs I've ripped on there seem but a drop in the bucket now. Heh, this might come in handy in RPGs if space is no longer an issued and I'd like to save at multiple points throughout the game as an archive save (in general right before big cinematics that I'd like to be able to go back and watch later...doing this on my old PS for FF7 took me 2 dedicated memory cards just for it)

6. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

from what I had heard, is that the HD will be used for downloading levels for games, like multiplayer maps. but they will be unified, as in when you log into playing HALO or something, as soon as you get in it will say "new level detected, downloading" and proceed to DL a 1-3 MB map.

They will have to make it streamlined as hell, because it has to NOT mess up anyone's XBOX.

7. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Well I have seen some conflicting reports on the size now. Yesterday I saw a Tech show say it only had an 8 gig drive but most stats I have seen said 10 so who knows.

As for what the intended use of that much space is I say we will really find out when the ethernet port starts getting used for high speed access. My bet is that there will be a browser program to be loaded and this will result in downloads of images, soundfiles, patches, levels, and what not.

I for one hope I can find some sort of high speed net connection soon, in my area.

Max

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Max,

part of the licensing agreement that game developers must sign in order to develop for the xbox explicitly states that patches must not be made for any game they release. So the downloads of patches is a no no.

The buzz from MS and other developers has included downloading new levels, new characters, demos; refreshing the stats of a sports game daily to accurately reflect trades, injuries, etc. the possibilities I'm assuming are as limited as the imaginations of the developers who choose to use the combination of the built in online access and HDD.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Am I the only one that thinks its stupid to have two different HDD sizes? Yes, they may make it so that the two sizes provide the same space through a partition, but it still doesn't make any sense.

11. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Morgan,

I'm sure they contacted two different manufacturers purely to insure that they'd have enough drives to meet production requirements. Sony got hit hard due to shortages of a graphics chipset if I recall correctly. Contacting two manufacturers was just an additional level of insurance. Unlike things like graphics chipsets in the case of NVidia, the HDD is a rather staple commodity, so the ability to contact multiple vendors was a cinch. (NVidia had also started production of their chipsets much earlier than mass production of the Xboxes started)

Perhaps geography played a hand as well; i.e. either HD manufacturer was just simply geographically more accessible to a specific Flextronic production plant? I'm sure the logistics of producing millions of anything, let alone a video game console must be a bitch to manage. Given that they're rookies at it, MS I think overall did quite well; missing their original projections for launch units, but nailing their promises of continual levels of quick turnaround in retail replenishment.

The differing sizes I'd hypothosize to be that MS just gave them minimum specs and said "here, here's what we want".. just happens that one over delivered a bit.

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I agree, it just didn't make sense that they would have two different HDD sizes.

14. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

Specifically, Xboxen contain either a Seagate U Series 5 drive or a Western Digital WD80EB drive. My Xbox has the Seagate drive. It is actually a 20 gig drive, so they must be using only one side of the platter, hence 10 gig.

I'll choose not to second-guess the manufacturers on their choice or variety of parts. It's clear that Microsoft and Flextronics (and Sony) know a lot about manufacturing, and we don't. Instead, I'll spend my time enjoying my consoles and games!

John Kilroy