XBOX HD Pack is too dark

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Andy Kirn, May 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Andy Kirn

Andy Kirn Auditioning

After getting my Gamecube hooked up through component I've noticed that the Xbox's output is waaaaay darker than that of the GC, effectively obscuring details and image quality from my games. The GC has vibrant colors and balanced brightness whereas the Xbox output even makes some games unplayable (max payne etc) because the the image is so dark that everything blends into the background making it hard to see whats going on. If I raise the brightness every time I use my Xbox (which is extrememly annoying) the IQ is still bad because its being artificially brightened. Does the monster AV pack have this same problem or will it work as a solution for me? I'm getting angry that there seems to be no alternative here.

2. Andy Kirn

Andy Kirn Auditioning

TV- Panasonic PT-45LC12

DVD- Sony Prog-Scan

Xbox launch model (and launch HD pack, replaced crappy cables with radio shack golds)

Black GC with component output.

I noticed the difference after switching from the advanced AV pack to the HD one on my old TV (Panny 27" standard tube with component), but forgot about it until I got the GC hooked up through component on my HDTV. Now it's really bugging me that I'm not getting optimal IQ from my setup.
    The difference is plain IMO if you switch between the advanced AV pack w/ Svideo and the HD pack w/ component. I know I'm not the only one with this problem as I recall seeing it posted somewhere around launch. I'm wondering if MS fixed the issue with newer packs, and if so I might have to get one to check it out.

3. David Paden

David Paden Extra

I have the same problem. I just bought the Microsoft HD pack from Best Buy about a month ago. It's really dark...have to crank up the brightness and contrast to make it look decent again.

Can anyone confirm that it's the pack? I'd like to be sure before I go spend a small mint on the Monster HD pack.

My television is a Hitachi 65XWX20B. I've tried connecting directly and running it through my Denon 3803 and got the same results.

4. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I noticed all of my game systems are darker using the component inputs on my tv whether I'm using the Xbox, PS2 or GC, they all have to be set brighter than using my other tv inputs. I have a 27" Panasonic TAU non HDTV.

5. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I noticed this problem months ago and thought it was just a problem with my Xbox. [​IMG] I guess it wasn't. Since then I actually got rid of that system (launch day purchase) and recently bought a new "refurbished" sytem. I bought a HD pack again and things seem fine to me. I haven't noticed any problems and i've been playing Burnout 2 a lot. It seems just as bright as the PS2 version to me.

Maybe they fixed the problem on the newer systems. Any of you own a recently purchased system?

Tiger

6. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I have an original system (not sure on serial #, but I bought it the first day the Xbox was released), and my HD Pack looks fantastic. Actually, I'd say it's a shade or even two brighter than my Gamecube using component video connections. Maybe it's their Q.C. with the HD Packs?

7. Andy Kirn

Andy Kirn Auditioning

Any suggestions for a possible solution? Would this problem be with the box or the console itself?

8. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

My XBox and HD pack look perfect on my ISF calibrated screen. Bought in January or February.

Martin.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I bought my pack on launch and notice the same problem, have to raise the levels when viewing a DVD. I plan on buying a new one at Best Buy and see if there's a difference. If there is keep the new one and return the darker one..

10. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I recently swapped out the SONY branded Component cables for the Monster set. As much as I HATE to admit that Monster gear is worth the cost, I did notice a difference in image brightness.

I use all my consoles on my RPTV all running through a Inday Component Video switcher.

The Nintendo Component Cables always looked good (progressive scan helps) compared to the SONY set.

The PS2 always looked dark to me, I decided at the time that it was the progressive scan support for most Xbox and GC titles that was making me see a difference.

After swapping out the cables on the PS2, it's making me re-think the Xbox HD Pack (currently using a Bettercables branded component cable to the switchbox from the HD pack).

The Xbox is also on the darker side as well, for the majority of the games. I'm not looking forward to plunking down more cash for monster cables.

That all said, the xbox is running an nvidia chipset, which does run dark 99% of the time.

11. Andy Kirn

Andy Kirn Auditioning

Just bought a new pack and there is no difference. My guess is that certain Xboxes run darker than others when put through component cables [​IMG]

12. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

my xbox is also noticeabbly darker than my other sources/consoles...luckily I have memory user settings on my projector so I have one with the settings higher for XBOX and can switch back and forth easily. Is that an option for any of you guys?

13. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I swapped out the MS HDpack for a set of Monsters.

The Monsters are indeed brighter, enough to notice, but I'm not sure (right now) enough to justify the cost.

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

No kidding Tim? Well that sucks.. an actual reason to buy the Monsters! [​IMG] I did try out a brand new HD pack (vs. the same pack I got on launch) and got the same results on brightness, still dim. Enter the Matrix is unplayable at it's default settings. I had to turn up the brightness in the game AND the settings way up on my TV. [​IMG]

I'll put the Monsters on my to-get-if-there's-a-sale list. *looks at price* Ermmm.. make that if I see the pair going on Ebay for $40. $60 Component & $40 for optical is a rip!

15. Pete Walker

Pete Walker Agent

My apologies for semi-hijacking the thread, but I was wondering what the risks are in running an Xbox on a RPTV? I am in the market for a RPTV (preferably HDTV), and I've always heard that was bad bad bad. It seems that has changed. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

run some searches here for the word "burn." It's not a problem for most folks.

17. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I'm running the monster component hd pack on my 57" hitachi. I noticed a large improvement over the standard cables. It is still slightly dark on some levels,like the map room on the silent cartographer in halo. I played enter the matrix and I could see perfectly. If you want the monster cables look on ebay, I got mine for around 30 bucks.

18. Pete Walker

Pete Walker Agent

Have you tried other cables, other than Monster? Hate to spend all that $ on cables, ya know?

19. Tho

Tho Auditioning

I haven't notice any brightness problems on my tv with either advance/HD pack and everything looks great, however with the HD Pack using component cables. I get this diagonal lines going across from right to left corner. Its not that visible but enough that it gets annoying. So I switch to the advance pack (S-Video) and everything looks great, not much difference as far as i can tell from HD Pack and the diagonal lines is BARELY visible. So that is what I'm using for now.

Will getting the MOnster Cable Component Pack eliminate that diagonal line and is there a difference between taht and the microsoft HD Pack? Also, will I be able to use my AR Optical cable with the monster pack?

This is on a new TV that I just got a few days ago by the way. Sony Wega 27" Flat (Non-HDTV)