xbox having trouble reading games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Dec 30, 2002.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Seems to happen more and more often now. I'll put in a game and the xbox displays "not a game disk or music disk, blah, blah, blah".

Resetting multiple times and open/closing the tray seems to help. Sometimes I have to reset the xbox 5-7 times before the game will boot.

Is this the dreaded xbox disc problem? I got mine on release day in 2001.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Uh oh. Got an extended warranty?

If not, people have been having success calling up Microsoft and getting repairs done for free/reduced price with this sort of problem even after the official warranty expired (not my area though, you will have to ask someone who has had it done).

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

No extended warranty.

Does this describe the known problem? I don't have any real information on it but have "heard" of something like this.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If you do a search for "xbox dirty disc" in the videogame hardware and software sections, there will be a number of hits, many with different solutions. (Such as this one)
    Personally, I think it's just a generic error handling message, which is why there are so many different types of solutions. Some deal with memory cache, some with cloudy discs, some with bad lasers. If it is a hardware issue, some people have gotten MS to take care of it for reduced fees/free, as Rob has noted.
    -Dave

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I would take care of the problem right now since MS has been fixing this out of warranty lately. Chances are the problem will get worse until the system can't read anything. They know about the problem; make sure to tell them that you know about the problem & that they have been repairing other people's drives out of warranty & you expect the same for your defective drive.

-Dan "I do not want a Thompson DVD drive" B.