XBOX: Halo, how long is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Guarino, Dec 11, 2001.

1. John Guarino

John Guarino Auditioning

Playing Halo at my friends friend house and loved it.

Just after playing a short while I got to the part where

I rescue the captain...Question is, is there ALOT more to

the game? Or if I rent for 1 week I should be able to

beat it? Doesn't seem like this game has alot of re play once you beat it so don't want wast $50 for a couple days of game play.

2. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

There are 7 levels of significantly increased difficulty after that.

And if you play solo at a higher difficulty level (heroic, legendary), it will take you a while. Bungie's estimated completion time for solo trip through Legendary (assuming that you're already a very experienced player) is over 60 hours... and that doesn't seem too far off.

Also, Halo's multiplayer modes are wonderful. If you've got a broadband connection, you can try using Gamespy's software to play over the internet, too.

3. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

I agree with john. The value is in the replay. I just finished on normal and It didn't seem to take too long. But I just started playing some levels on Heroic and Legendary. It is MUCHO tougher, and would add signifigant game time. Another thing I've noticed as I've started playing levels over again is that your choice of weapon drastically changes how the game is played. I've been using different weapons and tactics the second time through and with a better result as well.

Haven't got into the multiplayer too much yet, I'm hoping to get some time on that over break. When I don't have to go to damn school. Its finals right now, and I can't wait to just sit and veg for a month.

Anyways, get halo, especially if you have dolby 5.1. It is worth the buy

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Wow, you guys must be Halo masters, because the Flood is giving me all that I can handle on Normal difficulty! Thank heavens for the shotgun... [​IMG]
    Just started level 9 (Keyes), and things ain't gettin' any easier!

5. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

Halo really does have a lot of replay value. Especially when you get into 4 player multiplayer (or even online multiplayer). We have been playing 4 player Halo several hours a day for the last few weeks (which puts a serious damper on my studying during finals week). Definately a must own. What are you wasting your time for...go pick it up!

6. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'm slowly making my way through this game. I've just gotten up to the level where you meet the alien "ball of light". Had it for two weeks.

Jon

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Jon--Ugh, that's the Library level. Two words for you there...shot gun. [​IMG]
    Big fun! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

I've got a quick question for you Halo experts out there. I'm trying to play the game on Legendary level (pain in the a$$). I'm on the 3rd level and I just got beamed up to the ship where the aliens ambush me and the marines. Is it possible to actually survive that part? I think I screwed up when I left the surface and only took a plasma pistol and a needler. Any hints? Should I restart the level?

9. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Hmm, bend over insert horse shoe and give it a few more tries [​IMG]
    Seriously thats a really tough spot no matter what weapons you have. I just kept trying many, many times over and eventually survived with some luck.
    Dean

10. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I haven't played much Legendary, but the only way I got through the first room of the ship when playing in Heroic was to have a sniper rifle (there is one right behind the transporter before you beam up).

My strategy was to snipe the invisible Elites as soon as they ran through the door, grenade the Jackals, and then grab a plasma rifle to take out the grunts.

I used whatever was available to take out the Hunters at the end (3 good sniper shots will kill them, but that'll pretty much eat up all your sniper ammo).

11. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Hunters.....

....I HATE HUNTERS!!!!!

I had one of those bastard chase me down a long hallway, CLOSE behind me. I'm talking, breathing snot down my neck close.

I guess I hurt him pretty bad when I snuck up behind him and threw a plasma grenade on him. Anyhow, I guess it just pissed him off since you could almost hear him say "fuck it", and decided to chase me down.

You guys know what it's like with the 5.1. I could hear this ugly prick right behind me as I tried to loose him running in and out of pillars. No chance. That thing was right on my ass. I literally sounded like one of those panicky grunts, from nerves, trying to figure out what the hell to do with 900lbs of alien attitude running after me.

So, I decided to turn and face him. Screw him, I'm a badass, ya know? Well, it's amazing how far one of those Hunters can launch you when they backhand ya with that BIG BIG weapon on their arm. I just remember his windup, then WHAM!!!!!

...cool looking ceiling textures.

I hate Hunters...

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I beat the game in Legendary and played The Maw in Legendary 2 times. I heard the alternate ending is a lot longer than the original but...

all that is added is a funny scene where the marine commander and a covenant soldier are fighting over a gun. Not that much longer at all.

You guys get the same ending?

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Derrick,
    Hunters are actually really easy. They aint so big and bad. Sure they are menacing but they are also dumb as hell. The key is too get close to the big bastards and let them start trying to hit you with that big bad weapon of theirs. Just strafe to sides when they do and they will fly conveniently passed you and you will end up right behind them[​IMG]. Just fire away...repeat if necessary[​IMG].
    As for the Flood. These guys are really tough...THERE ARE JUST SOOOOOOOO MANY OF THEM!!!!! Shotgun is my best friend.
    Oh yeah one more thing. I want to kill the Monitor badly. Annoying little prick.

14. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Romier, the only problem with that is they usually come in pairs, and then you can't get close to one without having the other one hurt you. [​IMG] I usually just take them out with the rocket launch from a distance.

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Ryan,
    True but a little strategy goes a long way[​IMG]. Ill usually attack one of them and run my cowardly butt out of the room with one in tow[​IMG]...the other in my experience will stay behind and not follow (If you lure the first one right). Once you have the first one isolated use the tactics I described above. Then handle the second one.
    I personally like to save my Rocket Launcher ammo for vehicle battles with Banshee's, Ghosts, and covenant tanks. Also its good for large swarms of enemies. I try as much as possible not use it on the hunters.
    Thats one of the best parts about the game though. You can develop your own strategy and every individual will have his own playstyle! Always a good thing when a game has that much depth.

16. Derrik Draven

Chris
    My strategy with Hunters is just to say, "...oh shit". And hope I come out alive. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the tip though. I'll have to try it when I have only 1 of them to deal with.
    I'm presently at the VERY beginning of The Flood. Any tips on handling that? Is there a set number you have to whack before they stop in that 1st room???
    The video you watch from your fallen comrades helmet cam, was kick ass. Another little jem of an idea in this game that just makes it shine.

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Here are some of my tips:

-One of the most important things I've learned from playing Halo is the value of close combat. When fighting multiple opponents, try and single out one guy and lure him to your coverspot, where few enemies can get to you at once.

-Don't rule out hitting the enemy with the butt of your gun (B button?). It takes a lot of life away, and kills most enemies if you do it when their back is turned. It's also a silent kill method and won't give your position away to other enemies.

-If you are in a big open area with lots of enemies down below, take hold of a needler, find a good coverspot, and fire that needler in their general direction. Can get rid of enough enemies for you to fight the rest when you get near them.

-The flying drones that usually accompany the Monitor can be destroyed with only 1-2 fully charged up shots from the plasma pistol.

-When fighting multiple Flood, try to attack the Big "balloon-headed" ones that carry the small annoying little sh*ts. When they explode, not only do they take life away from anyone that feels their blast, but anyone that was shooting at you is now accross the room and lost their aim to give you enough time for you to take cover.

-And of course, if the Flood and the Covenant are fighting, no reason to let them stop. I recommend attacking the Covenant rather than the Flood while they battling one another. The Covenant are smarter, have better aim, and know when to take cover, thus harder to kill. The Flood are tough, but my only gripe with them is their ability to get back up after you think you've killed them.

-And yes, the shotgun rocks, pick it up whenever you can.

19. Derrik Draven

Chris
    Damn...no shotgun. [​IMG]
    I guess I missed it laying somewhere? Haven't had one of those yet in the game.
    Should you have found one by the very start of The Flood? That's where I'm at, right before that mass of freaks come at you for the 1st time. [​IMG]

20. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Nope, maybe not quite yet. But soon. You'll need it. A lot of the flood carry it so it shouldn't be hard to find and keep stocked up. The bastards also carry rocket launchers and have awesome aim [​IMG]