Xbox hacked by MIT Student!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Note to the mods: the MIT student didn't hack it for piracy reasons, just for hobby and non-profit. Here's the article on Microsoft's own MSNBC.
    It's pretty sneaky how MS put the secret boot info on the graphics side of the architecture, an nVidia chip. Who'da thunk it? An MIT student I guess!

2. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

The MIT student's website goes into intimate detail regarding the Xbox hardware/software. Apparently he notified Microsoft in advance he would be publishing the paper, gave them a copy, and has been in regular contact with them. They haven't commented publicly, so no harm, no foul, I guess.
    It's not a real big surprise that Microsoft's much vaunted Xbox security is of the same caliber as their OS security. [​IMG]

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

To paraphrase Will Smith in MIB, "Now that's some next-level sh#t going on right there!" [​IMG]

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

What will this do(will they be able to use the xbox as a pc)?

5. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I think at some point these curious folks are going to hit a wall. For one thing, even if this guy was able to get the boot code by sniffing the output of the MCP-X, it will be still be in cipher. So you would need to get the encryption key. Or break it, but if it is DES, that will take some time and power. On the hardware side, each component of the Xbox includes a digital certificate that authenticates it to the other components, so you can't just add hardware, like a floppy or SCSI, unless you know how to spoof the ID cert and get it in the right place on a foreign device. The list of challenges goes on and on. Paranoia at the design stage is much more potent than paranoia at development or fabrication, and it shows in the Xbox.

6. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

What's the point of adding all kinds of hardware to the xbox anyway? Like everyone in america doesn't already have a home PC...at least all the people that would be inclined to add hardware to the xbox anyway. For the price of an xbox and the additional hardware, you can build/buy a more powerful home PC. And even if it does add a benefit to the xbox to have floppy drives or other things, then cool, more potential for my xbox.

7. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

edited by administrator

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Trevor, although I think you had good intentions in posting that info (in an FYI sense), I think it best left out of discussion. If this thread in any way veers toward questioning where to get a hold of such mods, how to hack the X-box and even general support of the idea, then I am closing the thread.
    David, the PS2 games comment had to go too. [​IMG]
    Dan