What's new

Xbox Getting MGS Killer (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
For those of you wanting a MGS game on the Xbox.

IGN has posted an article about a new Tom Clancy game - Splinter for the Xbox. Early word has it that is the next step up from MGS. Splinter unlike previous Tom Clancy games is not team based.

Here's a small snippet:

The list of things Sam Fisher can do in Splinter Cell reads like a list of "cool stuff they should let you do in videogames." You're the ultimate covert operative, dressed in black with utility belts and straps filled with awesome toys and gadgets, so I was delighted to find out that they also let you do fundamental physical tasks that make covert operatives even more deadly. Perhaps a couple of comparison with Hideo Kojima's masterpiece can illustrate it best.

Solid Snake/Raiden could hide behind corners and boxes and wheel around for a shot at the bad guys. That was cool, but Sam can hide behind corners and still shoot bad guys by reaching his pistol around the corner and barely peeking his head out, thereby staying covered.

Another one to keep an eye out for. No set release date - sometimes this year.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
It remains to be seen if this game will be better than the MGS games. They do appear to be drawing a great deal of inspiration from Kojima's work. It's coming for the PC too. And I think it's called Splinter Cell. I'm really glad Red Storm is finally licensing some good engine tech, specifically the Unreal Warfare engine, instead of producing their own weak tech. The new Rainbow Six game looks beautiful, as does Splinter Cell.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm not going to hold my breath for this one. Years ago I tried Rainbow 6 on PSX and thought it was terrible.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
The big difference is that Kojima will not be working on this game, and that's where the magic for MGS comes from. Amazing teams of developers and creativity can't be reproduced, or copied. Sigh.

And what's with the (insert game)-killer talk? I don't get it. What's a Halo killer? What's a MGS2 killer? I hear this kind of banter all the time, and yet all those games have been doing fine despite the apparent homicidal games that are apparently running loose on video game stores.

Games come out to be played, not to kill other console's games. If that's how you play, you need to be playing some better games.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Agreed, as long as it's a good game that's all that matters...it's also coming to PS2 and Gamecube.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Paul, I don't think this particular game is going to the PS2 or the GC...Gamespot said the following in their preview:

Splinter Cell is currently scheduled for release this fall for the Xbox console and this winter for the PC.

I think there are other Rainbox 6 games in development right now, perhaps you are thinking of one of them? Or maybe it HAS been announced for the other platforms and I missed it...

paul h

Supporting Actor
Read this on computerandvideogames:

"A recent press junket to Ubi Soft's Montreal development studios revealed virgin public outings for the latest Rainbow Six title, Raven Shield, and cel-shaded FPS XIII and all passed without incident. And then a surprise title was sprung upon the assembled press, codename: Third Echelon, due for release on Xbox, PC, GameCube and PS2.

When a company announces it's making a third-person action title with stealth elements, in the style of Metal Gear Solid 2, the world utters a collective cynical groan, but when Ubi Soft actually demonstrated Third Echelon, now known as Splinter Cell, it exceeded all expectations. Comparisons to Metal Gear should not be understated, and the countless MGS2 figurines sat atop the computers of the development team was poignant to say the least, but this is no mere clone."

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well to help put an end to the multi-console debate heres the IGN report:
Link Removed
It basically states the X-box version will be released first this winter with ports coming for other platforms next year. Either way everyone wins. Those wanting to wait can still experience the game.
From what I've read the game is looking mighty impressive! I'm not calling this a MGS-killer (Josh, I too hate these; stupid kind of labels) but if it ends up being as good as these sites are playing it up to be....I'm all for it!
Dave Falasco,
As for the next Rainbow 6 game. It is called Raven Shield and the game will be powered by the Unreal 2 graphics engine. So far the game has been announced for the PC and the X-box. It will also be online and make use of the X-box communicator to talk to your friends online. Here is the announcement:
Link Removed
No word yet on other platforms besides the PC and box version but this is Raibow 6 so ports to the GC and PS2 are more than likely inevitable.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Thanks for clearing that up, Romier. It will be interesting to see how a game fares when it's developed for the Xbox and ported to other platforms; we've seen many examples of the reverse, with varying degrees of success.
And I LOVE your new sig, by the way. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think everyone loves Romier's sig.

One thing I don't get is how this game gets praise for being MGS-like or better, yet any other game that does anything similar is called a rip-off. Had MGS never existed, would this game still be the way it is? I find that doubtful, so rather than calling it a MGS killer, it should be called MGS inspired.

Also, MGS was VERY story driven. I'm not sure a game with the same quality storyline in this style can be effectively pulled off. The storylines in Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear were OK, but they weren't enthralling, nor did they make me want to continue playing like MGS and MGS2 did.

Anyhoo, so far it looks great, we'll have to see how it plays. E3 demo anyone?

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
huh uh huh...

You said Sphincter Cell.

huh uh huh...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"Tom Clancy's Sphincter cell - not buying that!"

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Also, MGS was VERY story driven. I'm not sure a game with the same quality storyline in this style can be effectively pulled off. The storylines in Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear were OK, but they weren't enthralling, nor did they make me want to continue playing like MGS and MGS2 did.
I have to be one to admit that, while I enjoyed playing MGS2, I found the story to be somewhat...stupid. :thumbsdown:
That absolutely, ridiculously cheesy, stupid banter between Rose and Raiden, almost made me stop playing. :rolleyes:And, I wanted to play as Snake!!! Not some androgynous looking guy, that I felt, was a wuss and a whiner and better suited to be singing in N'Sync than working with Snake.
Just my opinion. I'm hoping Splinter Cell will be a bit more serious.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I said MGS, not MGS2 (because I knew someone would say something like that).

Second, in MGS2, Snake and Raiden play EXACTLY the same. Even if you didn't play as Raiden, he would have been in the game. I personally found nothing wrong with him, and after reading what Kojima said about him being in the game, I understood why he did it and thought it was a good idea.

Anyhoo, the story of MGS (and the prior games, and MGS2 to a point) was VERY good. I'm not sure anyone can mimic that.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Pointless comparisons to MGS aside, this game looks really interesting. I can't wait.

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread