What's new

XBOX: Getting Interference from Monster cables (Wavy lines) (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I have a weird situation.

I use monster svideo and monster optical cables for both my XBOX nad PS2 to go to my receiver, and back out to my TV.

The problem is, my XBOX is giving wavy moving lines on the TV. I tried unplugging everything on my receiver and moving my XBOX to different svideo inputs and it will still give wavy lines. I thought, maybe the cable is bad? So I plugged the xbox svideo directly to my TV and no wavy lines at all.

So my receiver must be having trouble pushing the signal to the TV, but I checked with mY PS2 and gamecube (both also hooked up to the receiver with svideo) and I see no wavy lines in the TV at all!

The only work around I see, is to get my XBOX plugged directly into the component input on my TV (thereby unplugging my DVD player).

And either plugging my DVD player to an SVIDEO on the receiver, or make my XBOX the DVD player and forget about my DVD player.

Does anyone have experience with the quality of XBOX's DVD playback? (I dont have the kit obviously).

Thanks,

ELmO

Ike

Screenwriter
I know there is a switch on my DVD player that says "S-Video" and one that is for Component. If the switch is wrong, it will produce wavy lines and a black and white picture. I have to flip the switch to the correct input, and reset the DVD player. Maybe there is a similar switch on your receiver? If you find it, turn it to the correct input, then turn your receiver off, then back on again.

CRyan

Screenwriter
This is very possibly a ground-loop problem that occurs due to interference within your electrical lines. It is very possible that your receiver is the culprit having so many things plugged into the same circuit. Try plugging your Xbox power cable into an outlet that is known to reside on a different braker - preferrably one that is not used much (i.e. no refrigerator, or other major appliances). Then try it through your reciever again. This will very likely remove the problem.

Of course you do not want to have to use an extension cable running to your Xbox all the time. There are ways to stop the gound-loop problem. To do it "right", you will have to spend about $150+ to purchase a line-conditioner. I have also known people to use cheater plugs that will also get rid of the annoyance. A cheater plug, in case you do not know, is a small adapter that bipasses the gound. You simply plug your three pronged reciever power cord into it and then plug the adapter into the wall. The adapter does not have a gound prong and can be purchased for a dollar at Home Depot.

Ground loop problems are very common when you have multiple electronic devices hooked up the same braker as you video display. I had this problem several years ago just using my DVD player and my $189.00 Monster Line-Conditioner (HTS 3500) fixed the problem instantly.

Try it and let us know,

C. Ryan

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks for the great reply.

I tried moving around where I plugged the XBOX in (differnet outlets) and same with the receiver, with no luck.

I purchased an SVIDEO switcher from radio shack and it seems to work fine, though I hate having to always press a button to switch to XBOX, then turn on receiver to correct setting, then TV to video 2 - but alas.

I have a question, I had an amplifier installed in my car (powers my front 2 speakers), and now even if the amplifier is off or the stereo is on...my alternator WHIRS when I accelerate. When they installed my car radio they opened up the hood and removed something (size of a fingernail?) and replaced it with the same thing. I'm not sure what it was though.

Why is my car whirring on acceleration even if the amplifier and stereo are OFF?

Thanks,

ElmO

John Beavers

Second Unit
I had a Monster S-Video cable that I tried to use with my XBox when I first got it, but I got those same wavy lines. I then hooked up the Advanced AV one and no problem. I thought the Monster S-Video cable had somehow gotten damaged, but maybe there's an issue with the Monster?

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Not a clue, hooked it up to switch now and it's fine.

BTW I have monster PS2 cable and no wavy line with that, and cheap svideo for gamecube and no wavy linse...

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I decided I don't like going through a switch so I returned the switch and am selling my receiver, and trying to get a new one. If I get wavy lines with that Ill switch to microsoft's....

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I would exchange the Monsters for a set of new ones just to make sure that it's not the cable.

Elbert

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
How can the cable not work well through a receiver but fine directly to TV? I doubt it's the cable. Mind you I'm using monster svideo to go from receiver to TV, and for my PS2 and gamecube it's fine.

Also I used microsoft's A/V cables that came with XBOX and went to receiver and to TV with composite, and wavy lines again. It's something about XBOX not liking being routed..though using a normal switch no wavy lines appeared. I'm getting rid of this receiver, hopefully someone buys it for $150 seeing someone bought another guys for $180 + shipping from amazon.com.

I am using the Monster component cable with my PS2, and there is a green vertical line on the left side of the screen. I exchanged the cable for another monster cable, and it does the same thing. The TV only does it on the component input...any ideas?

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks