Xbox games for a 7 y/o?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

We've decided on an Xbox but I'm wondering what games are actually out there for a 7 y/o. Its for his birthday and I gotta pick up one tomorrow AM.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Not a lot, I'm afraid. There's a dearth of 'cute' or 'kid friendly' games on it. Lots of sports, action & a couple of platformers, but nothing really "All ages" in my opinion.

3. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    If he's 7, get him a PS2. An XBox is not appropriate for someone his age. Even the "official" XBox soundtrack CD has explicit lyrics in more than half of the songs.

Mike

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Wreckless (you don't run people over, but it's rated Teen, not sure why), Evo 2, MX 2002, Test Drive Off Road, Shrek, Tony Hawk 2X, Nascar Heat.

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Project Gotham Racing's good. NFL 2k2 is great. If you aren't wary of violence (if you play right, the blood's only purple, since it's aliens) and minor, minor (PG) language, try Halo. I mean, rent it yourself, and see if you think it's OK. But I know I'd have killed to have a game like Halo when I was 7. [​IMG]

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    X Box sounds like an expensive toy for a 7 year old, he would probably be better off with a Nintendo 64. Its cheaper, more durable, and has a better selection of kid friendly games than the box will ever see.

7. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

To be perfectly honest, if you're so worried about keeping his gaming "clean", then I'd get him a Gamecube or PS2.

Get him a Gamecube with Super Smash Brothers, Pikmin, Monkey Ball, Star Wars, Sonic Adventure 2, or Luigi's Mansion. He can look forward to Mario, Zelda, and the most kid-centric lineup of games on the planet (kid meaning 6-12 years of age).

Or get him a PS2 with Ico, Jak & Daxter, Rayman 2, or Klonoa 2. The PS2 simply has the largest lineup of games for any console and the largest release list as well, so there will ALWAYS (yes...always) be something fun for your child to play.

I'm not bashing the Xbox, because I own one and play Halo multiplayer constantly. It's an excellent system, but I'm just preaching the truth. Unless your son will be satisfied with the small lineup of games you deem "clean" enough for him (some of which are good, and some merely mediocre), he won't be as happy. Kids just want something fun, and thats what a Gamecube or PS2 will provide right now for such a child in that age group. The Xbox targets an audience that enjoys more mature games, which it does fairly well.

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Well, I would agree with the above posters that if the 7 y/o is the primary user of the console, one of the others may be a better choice. But if you are planning on logging some hours on it as well and you just want a list of games that he can also enjoy, then there are more than enough out there to keep him happy. In addition to the ones listed above, there are three snowboarding titles (SSX Tricky, Amped, Dark Summit) with a fourth, Transworld Snowboarding, on the way that looks like it may be the best of the lot. My nephew was crazy about football games at that age, and the Xbox has all the usual suspects (Madden, 2K2, ESPN) along with their own NFL Fever. Jet Set Radio Future will be out at the end of the month, which he would probably get a kick out of.
    I agree that for kids alone, the Xbox may not be the best choice...not because it doesn't have any child-appropriate games, but because it doesn't have as many as the other two. But if the console is for the whole family (meaning you...[​IMG] ) and you want some titles that he can play as well, there are plenty of titles out there.

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I'd agree with the others that choices are slim for child-friendly Xbox games at the moment. Hopefully there will be more family-oriented titles coming. One more thing, the much talked about size of the controller could be an issue also:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Dan B.

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Ooh! Where do I get a left-handed controller? [​IMG]

11. Eric Samonte

Thank u gentlemen for ur thoughts. Well, I went ahead and got one from Walmart. As for games, I just rented 3 to try. I have to mention that I might be using it from time to time so..it s "family thing".

Hmm....it didn't seem that big when I opened it up.

Another thing of note...at the Walmart here, I saw they were also selling refurbished units..2 of them..at the same price! It does say refurbished on the box also "modificado",....Thought I could get these for less but when they scanned it, same $299...

12. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Me and my 6-1/2 year old played Halo all the time and its amazing how this one game made all of his other gameplay that much better. Before, he could barely use the controller. There is some minor bad language (GD, etc) in parts with the marines but you hear a lot worse on TV...and you can always turn the sound down a bit. Co-op mode was incredible though and we loved this game. Can't wait for more like it.

His other favorite games are Oddworld and SSX Tricky. He really loves Oddworld. I have to help him a lot with Oddworld and occasionally with Tricky. I like both games. Project Gotham Racing is darn difficult even for me so I dont recommend that one. Bloodwake is also a good option (the name sounds worse than it is). Arctic Blast is another game you can both play.

Have fun,

Brian

13. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

You might want to give Fusion Frenzy a rental. While not my cup of tea (played the demo on the Halo disc), it seems pretty kid-friendly.

14. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

SSX Tricky (my new heroin) is a pretty damn addictive game and it should be suitable and fun for every age group. Rent it and see if you like it then take the plunge.

15. Eric Samonte

Rented Cel Damage, Batman Vengeance and of ...Halo. CD got good fun out of the kids ( had a birthday party), Batman wasn't even given another look. But the Fuzion Frenzy demo on Halo (which wasn't played..only demo games on it) flipped them all out. I think I'll be buying that one.
    I will be playing Halo with my son this afternoon...coop that is. Have to show him who's better in these things coz I can't win over him at Fuzion Frenzy.[​IMG]

16. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Wreckless could definitely be up his alley. Whilst many of the adults don't like it for various reasons, kids would be nuts about it. Target is running a promo coupon for 5 bucks off, and then a $40 deal on it soon. I can find that info for you if you want, let me know.
    OK here's the deal, between Feb 17th and Feb 22 the game will be $40, plus if you use this coupon it's only $35
    http://www.getintothegame.com/bonus_...ObjectID=52767

17. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

If you son is familiar with Star Wars, get Starfighter. No bad language and lots of space shoot-em-up action.
    When my son was 7 (now 10), he was CRAZY about X-Wing for the PC.
    I am very sensitive when it comes to my son playing violent games, but Starfighter's adversaries are "faceless" enough for me. Just make sure he's on "easy" mode. [​IMG] It also has a 2 player mode which is nice for bonding time.
    I also think Batman would be okay for a 7 year old (unless you don't let him watch the cartoon. We rented it, and now it's on my son's wish list.
    Just don't even let him know you have any "other" games (rated M) or he may just NAG YOU TO DEATH wanting to play them. [​IMG]
    Enjoy,
    Chris

18. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Forgot to recommend Dead Or Alive 3. I doubt the buxom females in the game will pose any problems since they're fully clothed for the most part and there is only one swear word in the game. And that is if you consider someone saying they will open up a can of whoop ass on you in Japanese. It's translated into English but you can disable the subtitles I think. Great Graphics and easy to get into gameplay should make this one enjoyable for both you and your son if you're into fighting games at all.