XBOX: Game suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Taka, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Taka

Taka Agent

Hi all- I need some help w/ an XMas present- my Dad wants an XBox!

Now he says that he is not interested in getting any sports games, so I guess he wants something else. He really likes strategy and puzzle games- any suggestions? I've looked around and see very little of that genre on any console system.

He also doesn't like racing, so no Project Gotham Racing.

I would suggest that he buy something like an $800 PC instead and get some wargames or stuff like Age of Empires II, but if he wants an XBox, so be it.

I think I'll get him Halo to start off with, maybe another couple games- I don't know if he'll like DOA3.

Taka

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I don't think puzzle and strategy games are well represented in the launch titles so far, but the one that comes to mind is Munch's Oddysee. That isn't a classic puzzle game like Tetris, but there are definitely plenty of puzzles to figure out in order to meet your objectives. Stuff like "switch to Munch to get his ability to control machines, in order to use the crane to drop a bomb next to the door that Abe needs to go through to recruit someone to chant for him so he can open another door" type stuff.

It's definitely more thinking-oriented and problem-solving than most of the other launch games so far.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'll second Munch-a great platform/puzzle game-kind of like Super Mario 64 if it was designed by Tim Burton, except stressing puzzle solving more than jumping. Starfighter is also good if you're into Star Wars/Space combat sims.

4. Taka

Taka Agent

Thanks guys- I'll look into Munch's Odyssee. If I can, I'll see if I can go over to a friend's and rent it, see if I think it's good before buying it for Dad.

Taka

5. James St

James St Supporting Actor

A few others to consider.

Max Payne

Star Wars (Starfighter and/or Obi Wan)