What's new

Xbox Game Recommendationss (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
If you are planning on getting LIVE (which I highly recommend) then wireless controllers won't do it for you. To date, I don't think any of the wireless controllers can handle the headset unit. Better to get extensions if you are 10-12 feet away.

I also liked MM and NFS on my PC. I haven't played MM on my XBOX much, although it was fun. (I rented it before I got LIVE...the non-LIVE multi-player options were pretty limited.) Sadly, I wasn't overly impressed with either NFS game on the XBOX. Graphics are great and all, but it just wasn't the same without the ability to import downloaded cars. :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
If you are planning on getting LIVE (which I highly recommend) then wireless controllers won't do it for you. To date, I don't think any of the wireless controllers can handle the headset unit. Better to get extensions if you are 10-12 feet away.

I also liked MM and NFS on my PC. I haven't played MM on my XBOX much, although it was fun. (I rented it before I got LIVE...the non-LIVE multi-player options were pretty limited.) Sadly, I wasn't overly impressed with either NFS game on the XBOX. Graphics are great and all, but it just wasn't the same without the ability to import downloaded cars. :)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Check Cameron_Y's post, to see if the games you've been playing are 16x9

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Check Cameron_Y's post, to see if the games you've been playing are 16x9

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
ok I checked the list and so far the ones I have that are NOT LISTED as being 16x9 are....

Blinx
Jet Set Radio Future
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Halo
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Both Splinter Cell's
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2

they ALL look 16x9 and I swear, if its true that not all games are 16x9 I really think this list isnt complete, Because these games especially (splinter cells, jedi knight, Wolfenstein, and halo) I really do think are 16x9. Tonight Im gonna go home (at work now) and look on the cases to see if its listed on those info box's.

When I used to have PS2, all my games were in 16x9 on that too. I just went into the PS2 setup menu and set it that way (also used component cables). however, not all games were in surround sound on PS2.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I doubt Im the only one here using a widescreen hd tv using component cables.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
ok I checked the list and so far the ones I have that are NOT LISTED as being 16x9 are....

Blinx
Jet Set Radio Future
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Halo
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Both Splinter Cell's
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2

they ALL look 16x9 and I swear, if its true that not all games are 16x9 I really think this list isnt complete, Because these games especially (splinter cells, jedi knight, Wolfenstein, and halo) I really do think are 16x9. Tonight Im gonna go home (at work now) and look on the cases to see if its listed on those info box's.

When I used to have PS2, all my games were in 16x9 on that too. I just went into the PS2 setup menu and set it that way (also used component cables). however, not all games were in surround sound on PS2.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I doubt Im the only one here using a widescreen hd tv using component cables.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The list may be going off the specs on the packages, which have been known to be incorrect at times. IME 4:3 games vary in their distortion when viewed in 16:9 or "Full" mode. I'm pretty certain Halo and Splinter Cell are 4:3 though. I'm willing to be wrong though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The list may be going off the specs on the packages, which have been known to be incorrect at times. IME 4:3 games vary in their distortion when viewed in 16:9 or "Full" mode. I'm pretty certain Halo and Splinter Cell are 4:3 though. I'm willing to be wrong though.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
DAMN, the thread is stating that Halo is not 16x9. but if the image doesnt get mis-shapen, how can that be? Basically everyone says that no one source has the correct information, and every list is notoriously wrong. or at least, thats what I gathered from reading 4 of 19 pages. Also, I really do believe that Splinter Cell 2 is 16x9. Ill check some things out tonight. get back to you guys tommorow.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
DAMN, the thread is stating that Halo is not 16x9. but if the image doesnt get mis-shapen, how can that be? Basically everyone says that no one source has the correct information, and every list is notoriously wrong. or at least, thats what I gathered from reading 4 of 19 pages. Also, I really do believe that Splinter Cell 2 is 16x9. Ill check some things out tonight. get back to you guys tommorow.

Jonathan canan

Auditioning
I guess that i cant post links

For the halo widescreen talk, not sure if this helps:
Q. Does Halo support HDTV modes?
A. Halo supports 480i and 480p resolutions
from bungi halo FAQ
bungie.net/Games/Halo/page.aspx?section=FAQInfo&subsection=FAQs&page=1

Widescreen
Is the extra cost worth it to you? That’s the question. For me, the answer is yes, unquestionably. Being able to watch all my DVD’s as they were meant to be seen, without distracting black strips on the top or bottom, is pure bliss. Playing games (Knights of the Old Republic comes to mind) in widescreen also makes for a wonderfully cinematic experience. Not all games are coded and configured to work with widescreen TV’s, but don’t worry, the Xbox has you covered. You can change the video settings for your Xbox so all games are shown in the glory of widescreen.

This was posted on the microsoft site don’t know how accurate it is or if it helps at all.

For controllers wireless is cool but check and make sure you can use more then one because they may be on the same frequency. If you go with extensions I would suggest looking at them first they have 2 kinds one plugs into the breakaway part of the controller and then goes directly into the Xbox. Now Microsoft put thought into their design and incorporated the breakaway cord so that if you tripped on the wire you wouldn’t bring your whole system crashing down and these extensions take away that safety. The other better kinds go in between the breakaway so there is still that safety

x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=118+0712
this is the good one you can see how it would go between the breakaway so that it will pull away from the piece that goes into your console

games:

Halo
PGR 1 and 2
need for speed (ok if you like tuned cars and stuff you can customize them)
Enter the Matrix is a great game

I don’t play sports games so i cant help you there.

The game that you should be sure to get is Halo 2 this is going to blow any other game out of the water. Halo did that and Sony is just making a game to compete with that. I believe that Playstation loyalists have called this game (killzone) the Halo killer. all and well for ps fans they get a game that is competing with halo a 3 year old game that’s bigger and better brother will be out Nov. 9th. Halo 2 will use surround sound if an enemy is behind you will hear him behind you. also on a weekly update by bungi the makers of halo, halo 2, they said that they were working on proximity voices or something like that to be used with the headsets and x-box live or XBC. nobody is sure what this is (bungi is very secretive) but proximity i believe is distance related so if you are farther from your partner it may be softer and if you are closer it may be louder but I’m still not sure. This may or may not be pushed though the speakers though. But I cannot wait till Nov 9th.
Q.Will Halo 2 support HDTV resolutions like 720p or 1080i?
A.In addition to supporting normal television resolutions, Halo 2 will run in 480p resolution when connected to an HDTV.

From bungie.net/Games/Halo2/page.aspx?section=FAQInfo&subsection=FAQs&page=1

Hope this helps at least a little.
Jonathan
(please excuse grammar and spelling)

Jonathan canan

Auditioning
I guess that i cant post links

For the halo widescreen talk, not sure if this helps:
Q. Does Halo support HDTV modes?
A. Halo supports 480i and 480p resolutions
from bungi halo FAQ
bungie.net/Games/Halo/page.aspx?section=FAQInfo&subsection=FAQs&page=1

Widescreen
Is the extra cost worth it to you? That’s the question. For me, the answer is yes, unquestionably. Being able to watch all my DVD’s as they were meant to be seen, without distracting black strips on the top or bottom, is pure bliss. Playing games (Knights of the Old Republic comes to mind) in widescreen also makes for a wonderfully cinematic experience. Not all games are coded and configured to work with widescreen TV’s, but don’t worry, the Xbox has you covered. You can change the video settings for your Xbox so all games are shown in the glory of widescreen.

This was posted on the microsoft site don’t know how accurate it is or if it helps at all.

For controllers wireless is cool but check and make sure you can use more then one because they may be on the same frequency. If you go with extensions I would suggest looking at them first they have 2 kinds one plugs into the breakaway part of the controller and then goes directly into the Xbox. Now Microsoft put thought into their design and incorporated the breakaway cord so that if you tripped on the wire you wouldn’t bring your whole system crashing down and these extensions take away that safety. The other better kinds go in between the breakaway so there is still that safety

x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=118+0712
this is the good one you can see how it would go between the breakaway so that it will pull away from the piece that goes into your console

games:

Halo
PGR 1 and 2
need for speed (ok if you like tuned cars and stuff you can customize them)
Enter the Matrix is a great game

I don’t play sports games so i cant help you there.

The game that you should be sure to get is Halo 2 this is going to blow any other game out of the water. Halo did that and Sony is just making a game to compete with that. I believe that Playstation loyalists have called this game (killzone) the Halo killer. all and well for ps fans they get a game that is competing with halo a 3 year old game that’s bigger and better brother will be out Nov. 9th. Halo 2 will use surround sound if an enemy is behind you will hear him behind you. also on a weekly update by bungi the makers of halo, halo 2, they said that they were working on proximity voices or something like that to be used with the headsets and x-box live or XBC. nobody is sure what this is (bungi is very secretive) but proximity i believe is distance related so if you are farther from your partner it may be softer and if you are closer it may be louder but I’m still not sure. This may or may not be pushed though the speakers though. But I cannot wait till Nov 9th.
Q.Will Halo 2 support HDTV resolutions like 720p or 1080i?
A.In addition to supporting normal television resolutions, Halo 2 will run in 480p resolution when connected to an HDTV.

From bungie.net/Games/Halo2/page.aspx?section=FAQInfo&subsection=FAQs&page=1

Hope this helps at least a little.
Jonathan
(please excuse grammar and spelling)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Go to that bungie sight that Jonathan is talking about at your own risk. If you love halo then reading that faq will drive you freaking crazy!!!

I read that faq and Nov 9th seems light years away, it just increased my anticipation ten fold. All the stuff they say halo 2 can do, it's just insane. I forsee Halo 2 breaking all records for being the most game purchased on release day.

When it gets launched on Xbox live you won't be able to play anything else on Xbox live, everybody will be playing this. I bet it will win game of the year on any console again!!!

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Sorry guys, didnt have time to play last night, and I doubt Ill have time today to check, but definetly by the weekend.
Excellent job Jonathan...
Now, with Microsoft stating that the xbox has the ability to make the games widescreen, and the game manufacturers stating only some games were made that way, who is correct? especially if you do not notice a change in the geometry of objects being displayed, when playing a game that is said to not be 16x9, yet xbox plays it in 16x9.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Halo's geometry is off, it's just that your too busy being shot at and the graphics are so superb you don't have time to notice ;) :D

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
its not off by much then, cause if I stretch a 4:3 dvd out, its nasty looking, with the xbox, like I said, never noticed.

Jonathan canan

Auditioning
another suggestion is the Grand Theft Auto double pack. great game and I believe it is in widescreen.

also there is another forum that talks about halo and how widescreen cuts off part of the HUD

Saul R

Grip
...also, check Rally Sport Challenge 2. It's arguably the prettiest 16:9 racer on XBox and a lot of fun to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks