1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

XBOX game recommendations wanted, pls.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Hi, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy an XBOX this weekend. Just wanted to get your guys opinions of the "must have" games. I guess HALO would be in there, from what I have read. How about the best fighting, racing, and RPG games? Also considering Outlaw Golf, Transworld Surf and Bloodwake. What's everyone's opinions of those?

Thanks, Aaron

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I played an Xbox for the first time last night. I enjoyed Halo a lot! Furious action that was very easy to get into. Plus it looked great! I also tried Outlaw Golf and liked it quite a bit.

3. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I'll bite. I've only had an Xbox for a few months, though, so others will have played more of the games.
    Of course, get Halo. You can't lose with that one. It was the first game I bought, and it is still the one that gets played the most.
    Racing: Rallisport Challenge — an excellent game with impressive graphics and sound. I can't offer an opinion on Project Gotham Racing (the other Xbox racing game that's gotten a lot of hype) because I have only played the demo.
    RPG: Morrowind — a huge, immersive RPG with so much to do that you'll never get bored.
    Fighting: No idea. I stick with VF4 and Soul Calibur. I haven't played any Xbox fighting games.
    I also have not played Transworld Surf, and have only played the demos of Bloodwake and Outlaw Golf. Outlaw Golf seemed fun, although it was difficult to tell how good the actual game would be.
    Another game you might consider is Jet Set Radio Future. One of my Xbox favorites. [​IMG]

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Halo is a good call, of course. As to your other questions:
    Fighting--doesn't get any prettier than DOA3. UFC:Tapout has also gotten some nice remarks. Stay away from most of the wrestling games, though.
    Racing--can't go wrong with either Project Gotham or Rallisport. Stay away from Burnout and Wreckless, or at least rent them first.
    RPG--Morrowind, case closed. Get Morrowind and watch the next two months of your life disappear. There are no "Japanese-style" RPGs on the Xbox yet a la Final Fantasy (search this forum for several in-depth discussions of that topic). Upcoming RPGs to keep an eye on include Shenmue 2 and Project Ego (but that's way in the future). Enclave isn't really an RPG, but it's kind of close, from what I gather. There's an active discussion on this game as well here in the forum.
    As for the other games you mentioned, I loved Outlaw Golf, hated Bloodwake (although the graphics and water effects were good), and I never played TW Surfing, although it got good reviews.
    Good luck with your decision; there is certainly no shortage of good Xbox games now, and the next few months will bring some more incredible titles, including the online network called Xbox Live. Poke around the forum here for a while, you'll find lots of information, reviews, screenshots, and comments on a ton of Xbox games.
    Welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

5. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Hi Aaron,

Halo is a must buy as many others have said. As for the other genres these are the games I recommend, all IMO:

Fighting: DOA3 is by far the best looking fighter available, a lot of people will criticize it for having a shallow fighting engine. I however find it very enjoyable and tag matches are great when you've got some friends over.

RPG: Really only one, Morrowind. If you're a fan of RPG's then you will most likely love this game. However, if you're new to the genre than you may be getting in over your head.

Racing: There are a lot of racing games for the XBOX. There are 3 stand out racers that you'll want to check out.

1) Project Gotham Racing, closed street courses with multiple modes of play, 4 cities, a ton of tracks, nice selection of real life cars with damage, and an emphasis on aggressive driving.

2) Rally Sport Challenge, rally racing (duh) with 4 different modes, Halo quality graphics, a ton of cars and tracks, 4 player split screen multiplay, and a great sense of speed.

3) Moto GP, motorcycle racing done right, if you have the patience this game is incredible, real tracks from all over the world, real GP bikes and riders, great control, and a sense of speed even more impressive than Rally Sport (this comes from a great use of motion blur).

All 3 of the above mentioned racers will also use custom soundtracks that you have ripped onto the hard drive, great feature that is being used more often lately.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you think of your purchase.

6. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

DOA3's a must if you want fighting games IMHO. Graphics alone are worth it - great demo.
    PGR's pretty darn good. I really don't like most racers, but it's fun, fast, and easy to pick up. I spent 2 hours playing last night... [​IMG]

7. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Yup, Project Gotham is great as is Rally Sport Challenge...quite fun with a friend to embarass on the track [​IMG]
    I also really like SSX Tricky snowboarding. Not a sim at all, but a lot of fun to play.
    Wreckless has some of the coolest/unique graphics on the XBOX. Unfortunately it can be very frustrating on one insane challenge and a total blast on the next.
    I really didn't like Bloodwake...Very repetitious.
    DOA3 = good if you like fighting games. The latest issue of that XBOX mag from imagine publishing has new characters to patch in.
    On that note, that mag is worth it's sub..every month you get playable demos of upcoming games.
    Hope that helps..
    Sean

8. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    Ah, a fellow Floridian.
    I buy all my XBox goodies at EBX at the International Plaza.
    I'd chime in with the exact same recommendations as what's been given abouve, except to add that you really should check out NFL2K3 or Madden 2003 when it comes out this week (Tuesday or Wednesday). I'm also picking up Street Hoops.
    I've also had lots of fun with Splashdown, the Sea-Doo racing game.
    Outlaw Golf is surprisingly good, although I've since traded it in. It's not quite the draw that Hot Shots 3 is on the PS2.
    Also, I'd recommend Red Card Soccer as a decent waste of a few hours with a sports game, too. And at $39.99 (or less for pre-owned), it would make for an entertaining diversion.
    Finally, Halo is, hands-down, the most immersive video game I've ever played, especially with a 5.1 surround setup. You will NOT be disappointed.

9. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I can't take MotoGP out of my machine. If you like racing and bikes, you simply must have this game. Even if you don't like racing and bikes, you must have this game! The graphics are great (wait till you see the water on your visor for the fist time) and speed and handling are very realistic. Rallisport didn't do anything for me, but most people seem to like it. THPS3 is also fun. I just started playing Burnout and its really growing on me fast. I thought it was alright at first, but maybe that's cause I didn't know the object of the game at first. There's starting to be a nice selection of good games for the xbox, so I'm sure you'll find alot you like.

10. Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward Second Unit

Try these games:

Halo
    Max Payne
    Dead or Alive 3
    Jet Set Radio Future
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Here are some games you should keep an eye out for in the future:

Rocky
    Shenmue II
    Ninja Gaiden
    Splinter Cell
    Dead to Rights
    Prisoner of War
    Soul Calibur II
    Turok: Evolution
    Dragon's Lair 3D
    Lord of the Rings
    River City Ransom
    State of Emergency
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
    Halo 2: Earth's Last Defense
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
    ToeJam and Earl III: Mission to Earth
    Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

In regards to Morrowind...

12. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

The Cream of the Crop

Halo
    Rallisport Challenge
    Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Dead or Alive 3
    MotoGP
    Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams

Stay away from Bloodwake; what a horrid game.

13. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Thanks for all of the recomendations!

Question: Is Morrowind like Diablo or Baulder Gate - Dark Alliance? I loved (and finished) both of those games. If Morrowind is anything like them, that might be the first game I have to pick up.

Aaron

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's nothing like Diablo.