Xbox fixed for FREE!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck H, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Chuck H

Chuck H Agent

Just called 1-800-4my-xbox and told them I have been getting dirty disk messages, game freezes, and lots of noise from my DVD drive. Bought my Xbox last year in December and have no extended warranty. Had read on teamxbox that others had been given free repairs, so gave it a shot. The guy I talked to registered my xbox as it seems I hadn't done that last year, then told me it was still covered under warranty and would be fixed for free.
    Apparently, MS has realized that many of the origionals had drive problems and has extended the warranty period. Just a heads up to anyone else having the same problems.

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

[​IMG] Good to see MS isn't leaving early adopters out in the cold if they should have problems with their XBox.

3. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

When I had these problems several months back, I had to purchase the extended warranty from MS for them to fix it without charging me an arm and a leg... [​IMG]
    Oh well, at least I have a little extra insurance now in case anything else goes wrong...

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Cool story...

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

While I don't think the extended warranties are a good idea in general, I DO think they're a good deal for the various video game systems.
    At Best Buy (who I no longer work for, BTW), you can get a 2 year replacement plan for $25. I think its a good deal considering how many systems end up having problems (1 in 5, I believe).
    Just my 2 cents.
    It IS good that they did free service on your system though. I bet that saved you at least $50. [​IMG]

6. Chuck H

Chuck H Agent

got my xbox back today (Friday). Sent it out Tuesday evening. Talk about service! And there is a noticable improvement. Before sending in multiple DDE messages, and most promiently freezes and loss of sound in some games. For example, in NBA 2k3 the announcers voices and other sounds would go out during the game, leaving only the sound of the ball bouncing. And in Splinter Cell I could barely hear what Lambert was saying to me. Well, my new and improved xbox has no such problems any more! The drive is also much quieter and I don't hear it constantly searching the disk. I am very happy with the service I recieved and recommend that anyone with problems call in and get the repairs.

7. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I just called Microsoft and their going to fix my XBox for free. I got on November 15, 2001. It took me a while on the phone to get it all squared away, but it was worth it for the free repair.

8. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks for the tip...I also just called, told them the problems, gave them the serial # and he came back (after being on hold for 5 minutes) and said it was still under warranty. They are shipping me a box to send it back in and said it was a 12-15 day turnaround time. Definately worth the call to get it fixed. I was playing last night and thought the machine froze and could hear all kinds of disk slashing and then it finally loaded. That pretty much was the final straw and I called and will get it fixed! Thanks for the lead.