1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Fighting Game -- get DOA3 now or wait for Mortal Kombat: DA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kami, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Finally got my Xbox and having a blast with it. Only have two games so far (Halo and Rallisport Challenge). I saw a used copy of DOA3 for a good price. Should I pick it up or wait for the new Mortal Kombat?
    I just want it if it is going to be FUN. Fun to sit down with a few buddies and not get bored of it...one of those games that you play til your fingers are sore [​IMG] I hear the controls are sluggish...is this true? IGN gave it a high score but I wonder if this is only because of the amazing graphics (and mortal kombat looks nowhere near as nice, but it might be a better game?). Are there lots of "special moves" or is it all basic kick and punch?
    thanks for any input.
    p.s. how is "Amped" when it comes to fun factor?

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

The single player game on DOA3 is pretty slight, but with two players the game is a blast. I've never heard the controls are sluggish. It's just one of those fighting games that can demand some pretty ambitious combos. I think it's worth picking up, especially at a low price.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

DOA3 is a reasonably fun fighting game, though I don't think it's one I see myself pulling out two years from now and continue playing. I haven't had any trouble with the responsiveness of the controls. Each character has a lot of special moves, but they can pretty much all be lumped under the kicks, punches, or throws columns. There are no projectile attacks that I can recall and no weapons, but that's not to say that DOA3 is grounded in reality or anything. Some of the throws in particular are impressive, with characters leaping, like, the equivalent of two screen heights. I'd definitely recommend DOA3 as a purchase, though if you're a really die-hard fighter fan, you might find it somewhat insubstantial at the end of the day. The only reason I might suggest holding off is that DOA: Code Cronus is scheduled to be released early next year, and though no one really knows what that game is going to be, exactly, the rumor is a compilation of all the characters, levels, and costumes from the series.

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about Amped. Once I figured out the controls, I enjoyed it for a while, but I think I prefer the more mission-based sports games to Amped, which, by and large, just involves racking up points.

4. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

I rented DOA3 and I wasn't that impressed. It really came down to being a buttom masher for the most part. Pales in comparison to virtua fighter 4. I even find Street Fighter to be quite a bit more advanced than DOA3. DOA3 is unfotunately the best we have right now and is mostly just eye candy. It has beatiful graphics and backgrounds but the fighting is very so so. I'm waiting for capcom vs snk and capcom vs marvel. Though not the most beautiful games in the world still have great fighting gameplay.

Mike

5. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

The only comparison is that they are both in the fighting category. I am a super huge fan of MK and have such fun ass memories playing every one of the series. DOA3 is the typical arcade fighter, stunning graphics, yes. But MK also has stunning graphics and a brand new engine which allows crazy real time "dripping" which is pretty unique and the fatalities!!!!!!! The characters are returning! I love it, even after Ed and Tobias said they would not make another. Good times..

-Bert

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

This is pretty much impossible to answer, as no one has even tried the new MK. At this point, DOA is a solid choice - deep, with great controls & fantastic graphics. Whoever called it sluggish was on crack. MK is wild card - the last few games have sucked, but the new one could be good.

-Dave

7. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

DOA3 is the best looking fighter ever. Team Ninja keeps getting better. If you get it get the bonus disc on many of the official xbox mag. The extra costumes are great.

They fixed the weakness of the series by adding end movies.
    One of the best fighters ever.

Get it. It is out now and save your pennies for MK later.

Peter

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

VF4 will be out on XBox soon enough. Wait for that

9. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

DOA3 is an amazing game, and a good DOA player can whip a button masher any day of the week.

It's very deep, and the counter system is great. Not to mention the jaw dropping graphics and animation.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

With no official release date (or even an announcement), it will be a long time before VF4 hits the Xbox. In the latest XBN mag, Suzuki has no information on games coming to the Xbox, and would only say that he respects the hardware. Regarding VF4.1, "That was never coming out. Rumor from somewhere."

-Dave

11. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Go with DOA3, as it's visually stunning, very deep as far as the moves go, and a heck of a lot of fun beating the snot out of your best friend.

Obviously, I can't say a whole lot about the next MK game, but IMHO, the series has been tired for years now, and despite promise after promise that the game will evolve, it's still basically the same thing with new bells, whistles, and more palette-swapped "hidden" characters.

12. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Well I went and picked up a used copy...glad I did! It's a blast in multiplayer [​IMG] Story mode is pathetic, but who buys fighting games for single player anyway?
    I'll probably still end up getting Mortal Kombat since I was a MK fanatic back in the SNES days.

13. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for DOA3. Its style's closer to Tekken than VF, but I like it better than Tekken (have problem with Tekken's character design and stiff/unrealistic animation) It's quite fun to play DOA3, and easy to get started, yet, you can beat button smasher any time once you master a character. And, I don't understand those who diss DOA3 just because it's got female fighters with bouciness; the gameplay of DOA3 is definitely deeper than skip deep.

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Well, you can have fun now or wait for possibly more fun later. [​IMG] You run the risk of asking the same question when MK4 arrives: "Should I wait for Fight Master '03?" It's a fun game, looks fantastic, is a hoot when there are friends involved, and you can play it today.