1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Eyecandy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Masood Ali, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Sorry if this is a repost, but I saw a pretty cool post over at TeamXbox Forums, and I wanted to share [​IMG]
    Definitely not 56k friendly. There are a mix of shots, from old and new games alike. Very nice Sudeki and PDOrta shots on the last page. WWE Raw 2 looks unreal...
    Let the show begin...

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Cool link. Thanks!

-Dave

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Nice looking screenshots...

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Wow! Raw 2 has the most realist man tits I've ever seen in a game [​IMG]
    Seriously though, there's some great looking Eye Candy there.

5. Masood Ali

Agreed, it has spectacular man bewbs. I'm anxious to see it in motion (but hopefully there won't be any DOA "bounce"...except maybe in the female wrestlers[​IMG])

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I'm a little confused about that thread. A lot of the posted shots are 1024x768, so how can they be from the Xbox?

Apparently they are supposed to be, the Top Spin ones have Xbox logos in some of the textures, are these shots from the developers in a PC environment? In any case, isn't that a tad misleading (although less so if they are 720p games)?

8. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

They're grabbed directly from the console's frame buffer. This sort of thing has been going on for years--it's why games always look much better than they do on your actual television.
    I do agree that it is very misleading: the only way you'll ever see graphics like that is by plugging the console's VRAM straight into your brain a la The Matrix.
    Note: Sony pioneered this practice so don't get on me for "being down" on the Xbox or somesuch [​IMG]

9. Michael St. Clair

Ed,
    Some of the shots that are also being released for the PC may very well be taken from the PC version.
    The other ones would be running from XBox development workstations or special test consoles. And yes, sometimes the screenshots may have more resolution, effects, or detail than the finished game will have. The game that is running might even be unplayable due to poor framerate, but it sure makes for pretty screengrabs.
    I'd rather see 'real resolution' screenshots taken from actual play-testing builds of the games in question. The actual release version of most games uses a 480p framebuffer, with the effects and detail optimized to ensure a playble framerate.

10. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Well, I was referring more to the frame buffer-pulling (which is actually the game)--not outright fraud [​IMG]
    But, man, did they ever look better that way!
    Another of my favorites: using arcade screens on the home version or using the superior console's images on an inferior port.

11. Michael St. Clair

ECM,

These days I'd say some screenshots aren't just running in a higher resolution framebuffer, they are running with unoptimized graphics settings, which results in more detail/effects than the shipped product will have. To me that's just as fraudulent as doctoring a screenshot.

12. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Interesting to know. I figured some of them are PC screens.

I also know from working in photoshop for 10 years that if you take a large screen and simply scale it down a good percentage (with bicubic interpolation) you will get anti-aliasing as a by-product.

13. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

[​IMG]

14. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

N.U.D.E. and True Fantasy Live Online look pretty cool, but they're Japanese releases. Pardon my ignorance, but do video games have region encoding like DVDs ... or to get to the bottom line, can I play those games on my US XBOX?

15. Masood Ali

The games are region coded. Modding your Xbox would let you play said games, but you'd need one of the newer stealth mod chips with a bypass switch in order to be compatible with Xbox Live!.

16. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

What about buying a Japanese XBOX? Would it be NTSC or PAL? Any other roadblocks?

17. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Japan is NTSC, but it would mostly likely be unable to play US games.