What's new

Xbox dvd (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
quote: if they made the X-Box $300 without high def and 5.1, people would still buy it, plus they would shell out more money for the 5.1 and high def and DVD anyway.[/quote]
So now the X-Box is a great bargain? Make up your mind.
Again, if Microsoft went with the add-on expansion route for 5.1 and 1080i, ALL X-Box gamers would get 'short changed' in the end because THEY WOULD NOT BE VIABLE OPTIONS FOR DEVELOPERS TO USE BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT BE PART OF THE CORE SYSTEM!
quote: the GCN knows it can't look cool, so it just gives up.[/quote]
...Well, the designer certainly did
laugh.gif

[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 23, 2001 at 05:47 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you understand me. I like 5.1, High Def, and an ethernet port on a console, I just don't like having to pay for it if I don't want it. I didn't use the Dreamcast's modem for over a year and I could have used a regular computer to do the same things as I did with my DC (besides some bonus things that I didn't care about cuz they were pretty dumb).
I will get an X-Box and I will love it, I just think MicroSoft has a bad business strategy and they are annoying me.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
MS had better change it's strategy right now, look what happened with the "unstoppable" PS2, it's languishing because they pissed off the hardcore gamers. Sony's going to be eating #3 this round, unless Nintendo or MS really F*ck up (MS has everything going for it, I'm going to laugh if/when they crash and burn)
Jeff Kleist

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Right now, the X-Box caters to Sega fans and people with home theaters. Its not that much of a hardcore gamer console. The PS2 will have some stellar titles coming out in the next year while the X-Box will have games that look good so far. Some games from the PS2 will end up on the X-Box, but the same can be said for all of the consoles. Final Fantasy is a VERY popular series in Japan and will keep the PS2 alive by itself (thats how popular it is). Considering that only one of the upcoming FF games is going to be on any other consoles (they haven't announced an X-Box or GameCube version of FFXI though I think both will be announced by next summer) the PS2 will have a lot of devoted FF fans buying the console and the games.
I don't think Sony will be taking first this time around, and I think the X-Box won't either. Nintendo has a good strategy (whatever it is) and every hardcore gamer on the internet who is willing to check out anything about SpaceWorld has seen something from SpaceWorld. The last good Sony showing was E3, and the last good X-Box showing was before GameStock (can't think of any good time where it had a good showing, it always seemed disappointing).

Gary King

Second Unit
The Xbox had a fantastic showing at Spring TGS, and everything seems to be pointing to an even better Fall TGS. And, by and large, the general concensus at E3 (among retailers and other industry members, not the press), was that the Xbox has the best launch line-up ever, and the console's potential was looking pretty good.
Although I hate the word 'hardcore,' if anything, the Xbox is the hardcore gamers' dream - a company pushing for (and paying for) innovative games, great new hardware (that opens up new gaming possibilities for consoles), and fantastic Sega support.
Final Fantasy is a VERY popular series in Japan and will keep the PS2 alive by itself (thats how popular it is).
Assuming that
A) Final Fantasy remains exclusive to the PS2, and
B) Enix doesn't develop for the Xbox
I'd be surprised if either is true. Just because things haven't been announced, doesn't mean they aren't happening.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I completely agree with Gary. TGS is going to be a very big show for the Xbox in October. If you look at the IGN boards right now, there are a lot of POed Nintendo fans. Nintendo made a statement with its show "We are after the pre 15 market". Zelda is too scary once you make it realistic so lets make it in to a cartoon. I'm sure youll be reading about how Nintendo screwed up Spaceworld in the next few weeks. (even though its not as bad as it sounds)
Monday is supposed to be a big day for Xbox, We may even hear what Square has been keeping secret about its plans for the Xbox.
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on August 24, 2001 at 06:15 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Square announced FFX and FFXII as being PS2 exclusives, but FFXI will be on PC, PS2, and possibly GCN or XB.
The X-Box had a bad showing at GameStock and E3. At E3 it had a few good points mentioned about its power and possibilities, but they weren't making as much noise as Nintendo and Sony. The X-Box will be probably end up tied at second with Nintendo and Sony will take first based solely on its software and established base.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
You do realize that all Square has to do is call the game "FFX directors cut" add 5 mins of different FMV and spruce up the graphics to be a different game right? Nothing is final.
Its happened before on different games and I'm sure it will happen again.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to sound like a devout fan defending himself, but I seriously don't think Square would make a "director's cut" of a Final Fantasy game and release it for another console. I assume they will, since they have for FF1-9 (7, 8, and 9 will be on PS2 around 2003 I think), but if they remake FFX or make a director's cut, it will be in a few years at minimum.

Gary King

Second Unit
The X-Box will be probably end up tied at second with Nintendo and Sony will take first based solely on its software and established base.
Didn't you just say that Nintendo would come in first? Do you have any idea what you're arguing about anymore?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I said Sony would be first because of its established base and second party software, and Nintendo and MS would tie at second. I now think that Nintendo could pull off being first if they play their cards right (ironic, since they used to make cards before gaming consoles). MS is running on hype (to the mass market) and Sony is runing on upcoming software and the PSX legacy.
Malice wasn't announced as an exclusive, but probably fell under the "6 month" agreement or was just announced for the X-Box and everyone assumed it would be exclusive. Square would not remake FFX and put it on the XB or GCN, their fans would be mad (how many companies have rereleased games based on fan-mail? I don't think they want a PR disaster, since most of their FF gamers will buy PS2s).
I heard that GameStock was disappointing, considering the XB's hardware specs and the fact that the games looked like crap running incomplete. Same goes for E3.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a question. Does anyone know if the Xbox will support DTS digital out for DVD playback? I haven't seen it in any specs, lots of mention of Dolby Digital encoded in real-time, etc. but nothing on DTS out for DVD. I'll be perturbed if it's not supported. Anyway. . .
Thanks.

Gary King

Second Unit
The DVD support is performed entirely in software, so there is no reason that DTS pass-through can't be performed. Final specs on the DVD player haven't been released, yet, so anything's game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Even though I don't like the X-Box, I'll admit that it is very home theater friendly, so I don't see why it wouldn't have DTS.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I think Morgan could start his own personal thread and it would go on for 5 pages before the admins would have to close it since it was going in circles.
------------------
[Edited last by Graeme Clark on August 27, 2001 at 04:10 PM]

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Because it was funny?
Final specs on the DVD player haven't been released, yet, so anything's game.
Gary,
Any guess as to when they'll finally make an announcement on this? I'd like to see if all our speculation leads to anything.

Gary King

Second Unit
Fall TGS is the next big game convention, although it would be kind of weird to announce it there (I'm expecting several big announcements at TGS, but the DVD remote would be rather odd, in my opinion).
Microsoft is being extremely tight-lipped about extras like the DVD remote, in order to keep the Xbox from obtaining an "everything but a game console" reputation... they've made similar decisions regarding VGA adapters, mice, and keyboards, so expect any news about the Xbox DVD remote to be extremely low-key.
Of course, if the future announcements are anything like the new JSR:F and DoA3 footage (and I've got reason to believe they will be), a progressive-scan DVD player might not even register on most site's radars.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
The only clue I have really been able to dig up regarding the DVD playback ability is the EB sheet. It seems to have the most current spec list seeing that it has the corrected GPU speed on it. Anyway the specs list the Xbox having HDTV Movie support, so its a pretty good guess that it would be progressive as well.
Link Removed
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks