What's new

xbox dvd playback questions????? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Q1 Is there a 16/9 option on the xbox to play dvd's in the compression mode on compatible tv's??

I am planning on getting a Sony Wega FS with the 16/9 compression, but it says to enable this you have to switch your dvd to 16/9 mode.

Q2 Will the xbox dvd audio capabilities sound just as good as a good ($300.00+) stand alone dvd player if both were hooked up to a nice HT receiver setup? (h/k 520, jbl s38 f&r, scenter, 25-31pci sub)

I was planning on just getting a xbox for my dvd and cd playback, but I dont want to waste the power of my system if the audio results wont be as good as a standalone dvd player.

James St

Supporting Actor
Todd,

Yes the XBox has a 16:9 option in the menu. It performs the same function as a regular dvd player.

As far as music goes it all depends on how you plan on connecting your XBox. I don't know what the quality of the DAC's are in the XBox but you would bypass them if you connected it to your reciever via optical cable. By using the DAC's in you reciever the differnece between XBox and $300 dvd player would be minimal. If you use analog audio then you're probably better off with a dedicated dvd/cd player depending on what you buy. You would probably be better off with a stand alone player for music simply because it offers more features/remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread