Xbox Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen Marshall, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

This probably requires someone who has an xbox high definitions kit.

my tv only has 2 composites and an S-Video, my dvd player has all 3.

I can get sound with my kit by hooking the kit up and putting a optical from the kit to the reciever BUT, no video, i got component video goin from the kit to my dvd player, then a composite yellow goin from my dvd player to my tv, the video is on Line 1 on my dvd player and Video 1 on my tv, so i go to it, no picture, its all sound, Can someone help me out here?

One more question, what is PCM i mean i know its pulse code modulation which infact digitizes an analog signal...but, How come it says PCM on my reciever instead of DOLBY DIGITAL with the kit hooked up and everything it just stays on the mode its on and a little light saying PCM will come up, my friend says his says Dolby Digital?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

What system are you using? When you say hooked up to your DVD player I am assuming you have a HTIB because no standalone DVD players have inputs.

Second, the input on your "DVD player" is Video 1, so set the "DVD player" to Video 1, but the input on your TV might be Video 2 or 3. Try those.

Third, there is composite (yellow video wire), S-video (a 4 pin connection), and component (3 wires labeld Y, Cb, Cr). That is just for video, then you still have the red and white audio wires (or a optical connection). I am not sure if your TV has component, which would mean you need to hook everything up with S-video.

List your equipment and I can help some more.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I agree w/ John - The DVD player shouldn't be used as a switchbox. Just hook them all up to your receiver and you should be fine.

5. Allen Marshall

yea i thought i could get component and composite to work together as a team, tomorrow im gonna get the S-Video kit.

PCM question is still on the table.

i know which games have dolby digital and during gameplay and those were the games i tried and it did exactly what i said.

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Oh wait a sec - I just re-read that first post. You were trying to downconvert from component to composite w/ your dvd player? That's definitely not going to happen. And besides there would be no point since you would still have a composite link in the chain so the video would be only as good as the composite line.

7. Allen Marshall

well i got the PCM to go away, i enable dolby digital on my xbox but it would still be cool to know what PCM is

8. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

PCM is digital Stereo. If you want DD from Xbox you need games that support it. There is also DD 2.0 as well.

As for the component video Most likely you are connecting and out to and out and its not going to show any video.

You have to either put the video through the TV or the Receiver to the tv.

Probably to late of an answer hehehe [​IMG]

9. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Every one of my games is in Dolby Digital. I am pretty sure that's the way they are for X-Box. I could be wrong. I can tell you that GTA 3, Crimson Skies, and Unreal Championship all sound really good. Nice use of surrounds.

10. Allen Marshall

if PCM is digital stereo then is Stereo mode on my reciever......analog stereo?

11. Jason Moreland