What's new

XBox Dolby Digital Woes (1 Viewer)

Tom_J

Agent
Hi all, I have an Xbox connected to my Yamaha V795 via the MS Advanced A/V Pack and an AR Toslink digital cable.

I was having problems getting the receiver to sense the digital signal from the Xbox. I started replugging everything, making sure the connection is snug and correct. Now it detects the signal, but it will drop out in the middle of game play for a minute or two before picking it back up. The receiver displays "Dolby Pro Logic" when the signal is lost, and there is total silence, until the Digital signal is picked up again.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to resolve it? I'm thinking about returning both the A/V Pack and the Toslink cable for a new one, but what if it's my Xbox?

Thanks for any input.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
For one thing, check to make sure that there is enough ventilation behind your X-Box. Switch out the toslink cable with hopefully another one that you have in your AV rack (CD player ,DVD player), check to see if that's the culprit, but I highly doubt it. And if you are at the end of your wits, exchange the AV Pack for another one, but stick to one made by Microsoft.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Dunno about Arthur's intent, but I'd reccomend avoiding the Monster cables. There were a few reports early on of folks having exactly these symptoms, and the Monster cables were the culprit in most that I saw resolved.

T

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to resolve it? I'm thinking about returning both the A/V Pack and the Toslink cable for a new one, but what if it's my Xbox?
I got my first XBOX at launch and it had sound problems as well, but they were different from what you are describing. I would get total sound drops during gameplay that would last for a few seconds. I would also get an occasional popping sound. I read about a number of people having this same problem around the launch, but haven't heard of any sound problems in quite a while. I bought a new AV pack and that turned out to not be the problem. I then exchanged the XBOX for a new one and it has worked fine from the day I bought it.

Did you recently buy your XBOX, or have you had it a while before this problem started? If you just bought it, I would just exchange the system while you still can.

Aaron

Tom_J

Agent
Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

I bought my XBox just over a month ago. Right before the $100 price cut. I don't know if BB would still let me exchange it. Their policy is 30 days, I believe.

Teh weird thing is: I just played MotoGP for about 2 hrs yesterday. There were no sound problems at all. It didn't drop out for a second, and I didn't hear any pops or hisses. This one has me stumped.

The problems which occur intermittently seem to be the hardest to resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks