Xbox Dolby Digital-no center channel in Oddworld or Project Gotham-others?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob East, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Bob East

Bob East Agent

I just purchased an Xbox and hooked it up to my HDTV and Dolby Digital receiver. When watching movies with Dolby Digital the center channel is used for dialog etc and I was expecting the same on Xbox games. However it appears this is not the case(at least in some games). I'm wondering if my Xbox is functioning normally and if others have noticed the same thing playing Oddworld etc. It would seem to me if a main character is speaking, the dialog should come from the center channel unless the positional audio capability is being used(for instance a character walking around a room). Of course it's up to a developer to decide that. Just hoping to get a few comments from Xbox gamers as to their experience with Dolby Digital and the use of the center channel in the games they have played. Thanks in advance for any comments!

2. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

This is something you'll notice a lot on your XBox. No, there's no problem with it.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

4. Bob East

Bob East Agent

Thanks for the quick replies guys and Adam thanks for the links to the threads discussing this issue. Nice to know my Xbox is working fine. Hope the game developers read forums such as these and improve their use of Dolby Digital.

5. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

if you want to get good dd soundtracks
    halo
    tony hawk 3
    max payne(although dialogue is very low and unadjustable)
    PGR
    JSRF
    Oddworld

6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Halo and Max Payne also have very little center channel sound.

So far, SPIDERMAN is the only game I have played which has full time center channel sound.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    One thing I noticed is that the center channel on my Xbox is always the weakest channel. Center channel audio is thin and kind of brittle. I'm on my second Xbox. The hard drive on the first one failed after about a week of use. This one has worked fine for several months, but the center channel definitely sounds weaker to me, and whether I'm using DD output or analog directly to my monitor, the default audio output is noticeably less than my PS2 or GameCube. If I switch from one of them to the Xbox, I always have to crank the sound up a couple of notches. When in the Dashboard, for instance, the robotic background chatter is barely audible unless I have everything cranked way up. I don't recall having this problem with the first one. Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary

9. Bob East

Bob East Agent

I'm planning on picking up EA's NCAA Football 2003-does anyone who has it yet know if the center channel is used in Dolby Digital. If not, I may have to use Dolby Pro Logic II.
    Thanks.

10. Bob East

Bob East Agent

Update-NCAA Football 2003 for the XBOX does have very good DD sound and includes the use of the center channel(hurrah!). The game also looks appreciably better in widescreen mode.