1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

xbox does not play shrek or star trek movie dvds. Known problem(s) or defective xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dee.L, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Dee.L

Dee.L Auditioning

Hi everyone, thanks for all the informative info you put out there!

I recently purchased an x-box with DVD remote. So far everything is ok, except:

When I put the Shrek DVD Movie in (either disc 1 or disc 2) xbox complains it can not read the disc. This plays fine in my 3 year old panasonic DVD player, and plays on 3 other friends "stand alone" DVD players.

Also, I put in Star Trek (First Contact I think.. can't recall the actual name =P ) and while it does get to the menu, it takes a LONG time. More importantly, when I try to play, its like in slow motion with terrible pixelation and jumping. Again, plays fine in the panasonic DVD player.

I tried to do a search on this site and google, but didn't come up with anything mentioning a problem with these discs. I also read that x-box seems to be a good DVD player (reliable, has no troubles playing movies) however maybe I just have not come accross the right info?

Oh, I did look at the DVDs and there are no apparent scratches/dust/dirt on any of the discs.

I was able to play:
    Matrix
    Star Wars Episode 1
    American Pie

Anybody have similar experiences? Think its a problem with the xbox and I should exchange it?

Thanks for any information you can share!

Dee

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Sounds like a defective XBox, I'm afraid. I haven't heard of any incompatible DVDs with the XBox.

3. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Yup, yer DVD-Rom drive could be showing the first signs of death. Mine refused to play the "Shrek" DVD before it died.

4. Dee.L

Dee.L Auditioning

Doh! thats what i was worried about. back to amazon it goes! thanks for the replies.

5. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Shrek I think broke my xbox, it worked fine till I played that stupid movie.... actually the movie is quite good but not worth 200.00 lol