What's new

Xbox & DD (1 Viewer)

I was just curious about the Xbox.

I have a $5k HT setup and was thinking of integrating it in for fun.

Currently I am still playing w/ a N64 on 5 channel stereo. MarioCart 64 rocks ....

A lot of the Xbox games claim Dolby Digital, and it is marked so on the back of them.

Is the DD processed in realtime, or just for special pre-recorded scenes and stuff?

What has been everyones experiences with it?

Thanks ....

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Justin, the X-Box on a good system (mine is 8K) absolutely ROCKS!!! It's realtime DD 5.1, not just cut scenes. The sound really surrounds you. Games like Halo can never be played in normal stereo after experiencing it in 5.1. The aliens FEEL like they are over your right (or left) shoulder when playing the game.

The sub gets a serious workout on a lot of games as well.

The only complaint with the XBox in this regard is that a lot of games lack center channel info...basically instead of 5.1, they are programmed for 4.1. This is not a fault of the XBox, but instead, the programmers who program the games.

Definately hook it up to your system...you won't regret it.

Mike_HT

Agent
The xbox is great even without a DD setup. :D
I played it once with my Altec Lansing 641s and it was great. I cant wait till next year when I get my own HT up......And with an HDTV...this thread is making me go crazy with anticipation!!!
You'll definitely enjoy it. :)

Thats exactly what I was afraid of ..... I need a bib for my drool.

I almost bought one last weekend, but it would have been close to $500 for everything (unit, S-video attatchment, 6' toslink cable, second controller, 2 controller extensions, 2 games, and tax).

How does the PS2 or GameCube compare ???

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
The xbox is not only my main gaming system, but my DVD player. I didn't feel like going out and buying a new progressive scan DVD player so I used the Xbox.

And to my surprise it is a Prog. DVD player (NOT, only Progressive for games). Real nice picture to. I have yet to play games on it since I got my new reciever, but the movies through the reciever (Onkyo sr-600) the sound quality is great, much better than my old Kenwood VR6070.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Justin, the X-Box on a good system (mine is 8K) absolutely ROCKS!!! It's realtime DD 5.1, not just cut scenes. The sound really surrounds you. Games like Halo can never be played in normal stereo after experiencing it in 5.1. The aliens FEEL like they are over your right (or left) shoulder when playing the game.
I live with my in-laws right now in their 2nd house. They have a mono 25" TV for me to play my Xbox on. I have all my HT equipment in their 1st house. One day I brought my Xbox down and played Halo in DD5.1 and I haven't touched it since then. I was playing the Library part where you have to follow the orb. I lost it a lot of times as it can go over obstacles and you have to go around them. I just moved around in a circle and can pinpoint where the orb is just by where the sound is coming from. 42" HDTV + DD5.1 vs. 25" mono TV... I don't think so.
Eventually bought a 24" Toshiba flat screen TV with stereo sound but I still won't play Halo until I move out and bring my HT equipment along. :D

JoshF

Supporting Actor
How does the PS2 or GameCube compare ???
PS2 has an optical connection for video, and some games use DTS in-game. Others use DD for cutscenes. Others use ProLogic II. Overall, PS2 sound is very good.

Gamecube has analog stereo output only, so the best sound you'll get out of that is ProLogic II.

Both PS2 and Gamecube are capable of 480p output as well.

Get the system with the games you want. Otherwise you're looking at pretty graphics and hearing cool sound in games you don't like.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
the PS2 inst ingame DD or DTS, only cutscenes
SSX Tricky, GTA: VC, and a few others I can't think of output DTS in game. The PS2 can't output DD5.1 in games, only for DVD playback and the Xbox can't output DTS in games, only for DVD playback.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
But i hear even with the realtime DTS in those games it still doesnt sound as good as DD in Xbox games

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The PS2 can be made to do DTS; the Xbox is *designed* to do DD5.1; you're not sacrificing processing power to do it. With the PS2, you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks