XBox DD sound problems (revisited)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared_B, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I know there have been a few threads about xbox sound problems before. I wanted to put all of the conclusions in one spot for anyone having these troubles (like me!).
    I have noticed both problems described below on my setup, which is X-box >> MS HD pack >> optical cable >> Denon 3801. The Denon is set to Auto detect, and it does detect the Dobly Digital signal every time.
    Problem #1
    Center channel information is rare in games such as Halo, Groject Gotham, and Munch's. This thread talks about these issues. The conclusions most agreed upon was that these games were programmed to have little to no center channel information. Doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.
    Problem #2
    Audio popping and cracking during play. This thread cover this issue. Some have reported changing the HD pack does not help. The conclusion then was that it is a hardware problem within the Xbox itself. My question is: Is there a solution to this? Has anyone returned their box for a new one, and had the problem dissapear?
    Has Microsoft made a statement about these issues? Has anyone had any luck in calling 800-4my-xbox? I guess the only option I have right now is to return my unit and hope they have more in stock.
    Jared

2. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

Jared,

Regarding the audio popping in DD -- I finally exchanged my XBox (actually, I bought it somewhere else and returned the original), and now the problem is gone. I am using the exact same Adv. A/V Pack, Optical cable, receiver, etc., and now it works fine. Everytime I called MS tech support, they blamed it on my cables. I feel like calling back now and explaining to them how I solved the problem.

----

Joel

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

4. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The answer you get about Dolby popping seems to depend on which tech support rep you call.

Some people have said that the tech reps they call have mentioned that there is a known issue with the Dolby out on some Xboxes, and they are looking for a solution. Other tech reps just say that the cables are at fault (which has also happened, more often with the Advanced kits than the HD kits).

I don't have any first-hand experience, just stories I've heard 'round the net (thankfully, all's well here).

5. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Andrew,
    Please don't misquote my post. Also, you might want to re-read it.
    The original post reads:

6. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Jared,
    [​IMG] I think you're getting what I said a little mixed up and reading a little too much inbetween the lines, so to speak. What I was trying to get across, was not specifically to you, but to anyone else experiencing problems.
    I was trying to let people know that if they are only experiencing problem #1, that it is NOT a hardware problem, and is inexperience in the software development department. Therefore, to not get all worked up about not having much centre channel activity, and trying to phone MS and/or returning their system, etc.
    I fully realize that if you are experiencing anything similar to problem #2, that you almost certainly have a defective system.
    Now, I still feel that it's not in the slighest, Microsoft's responsibility to give an explaination for the inexperience of the software dev teams regarding DD5.1 sound. That responsibility should rest in the hands of the developers themselves as they are the ones who actually made the games.
    I do feel though, that Microsoft better get their ass in gear, and release an official statement regarding problem #2.
    **EDIT**
    Just to further my defense in "misquoting" you...
    I didn't quote problem #2, because I wasn't commenting on it. I figured that would have been clear.

7. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Got the Star Wars Star Fighter game and guess what I found?

A Center Channel in DD 5.1. Well now at least I know my hardware is OK.

Max

8. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Cool Andrew, no harm done. It's just frustrating when you have the latest and greatest, but very little support for it. M-soft should at least tell customer reps and distributers that the problem is not in the cables.

As an update, I returned my X-box last night and received a new one that has no trace of the cracking/popping noise. Perfect 5.1 (or is it 4.1? - joking!) sound. Had to really talk the store guys into it, though. They too were convinced it was my cables.

Jared

9. gomez_a

gomez_a Stunt Coordinator

does anyone know if the "Audio popping and cracking during play" problem occuring on the units made in Hungary, Mexico, or both???

10. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Mine was made in Hungary (the one with the problem). I have not yet checked my new one (problem fixed).

Jared

11. gomez_a

let me know where your replacement unit was made - very curious.

12. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Glad to see you got a new unit Jared.

For reference mine is made in Mexico, and has experienced no problems.

13. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

Lots of Mexican Xbox's had problems. If your having problems with your Xbox and it is Mexican, exchange it for a new one and the problems should disappear.

14. gomez_a

well, I bought an x-box that's still in the box (blasphemy!) and noticed it said made in Hungary, so I'm hoping the Hungary one will be ok. I just have not had the time to set it up given that I just bought a new HT system (Onkyo 898 w/Polk RMS7600 w/psw650 sub) and I'm still not done tweaking the syste,. then I have a new SVS sub coming next week. I want to wait until I have my HT tweaked just right before I unleash my x-box

15. JoelH

JoelH Stunt Coordinator

My original was made in Mexico, as was the replacement.

16. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

17. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Well, the problems don't seem to be only related to system's made at a certain manufacturing plant, as both the Mexican and Hungarian Xboxen are having the same problems.

18. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Mine was made in Hungary. No problems at all.

19. gomez_a

Hey Derrick . . I'm glad to see I'm not alone or anal about HT! I was afraid to admit that I've had my x-box in it's box since launch day (as I said, blasphemy!), especially as I have Halo. Gotham, the air combat game, and NFL Fever), but I just invested $4k in Polk spkr's + sub, an Onkyo 898 rcvr, and now another sub 16-49PC (not to mention cabling and other accessories) and I'm still not finished tweaking the sound - my 16-49PC should come in tommorrow, but won't get a chance to set it up until next Sunday PM at the earliest since I'm going out of town and then (going to the Tangerine bowl Dec 20th) . . therefore, my projected x-boxen debut may be during the weekend of the 22nd !!!

PS - I'm excited about getting the 16-49PC - tell me more about yours, was it hard to set up to blend it into your system??? Does it rock the house?? . . .must have . . .more details, details!!! :)

20. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Ok,

My replacement was also made in Hungary, manufactured on 11-16. Still no problems with the new box.

Jared