XBox Controllers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Beavers, Dec 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

I have a friend coming over Friday night to check out my XBox. I'm going to need to buy an extra controller. I've looked at several, and all seem to be very fine specimens of controllerhood, but are any of the ones out now better than the standard XBox controller? I like the idea of a Macro button, though how easy is it to set up? I've got Dead or Alive 3, but have yet to play it. Is it that you activate the macro button and try one of the more difficult combination of buttons which is then recorded into the memory of the controller?

My friend is a fan of FPS games so I'm going to introduce him to Halo first. Should I have him go it alone on the mission based game or should we go straight to a partner based experience?

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Hi, John. I haven't used any of the third-party controllers, but I have read reviews of several of them. It seems that while some come close (I think the Mad Catz one was rated pretty well), none of them are really quite as good as the original MS controller. If it were me, I would pick up another original. Actually, if you can I would wait for the Japanese version to come out, as it is supposed to be quite impressive (slightly smaller, and a better button layout). But if you have to get one soon, my advice would be to just go for another MS one. It's not really much more expensive than a generic, and it seems to be the best. Whatever you end up doing, though, stay away from Interact!
    Oh, as for Halo, I started one of my friends in multi co-op, and a bunch more in multi death-match. I would say if your TV is big enough (say, over 30"), go for co-op so you can work out some team tactics. Maybe after he gets his feet wet and is comfortable with the controller, you can boot up a single-player game and have him walk through a level or two by himself. I envy your friend--I wish I could play Halo again for the first time...[​IMG]

3. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Well I've tried a few of the 3rd party controllers and haven't found one yet that stands up to the MS one. The madcatz controller I had high hopes for but was disapointed when I used it. It's comfortable but doesn't work very well at all.

For Halo I start off someone by creating a new profile for them, and then start a deathmatch game so they can get used to the controls a bit before jumping in to the action. The nice thing is you can save a unique control setup for each profile so you can completely customize the controls to match your friend’s skill / taste. Once he/she starts to look comfortable moving around and has a good idea on how effective the different guns are start a coop game, usually in normal or heroic.

Dean

4. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

Well, I bought the I-Pad controller. El Sucko majoro. Spend the extra cash on the microsoft controller. Much, much better. Also, from what I've heard, the Madcatz isn't all that great either. For the I-Pad, the buttons are nowhere NEAR as responsive, the pad does not sit as well in your hand, and the analogue and d-pad sucks, and are not that responsive.

As always, my humble opinion.

5. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

Chris and the others here are exactly right. Get the MS controller. The Ipad controller buttons really suck and you have to literally smash some of them to get them to work! The MS pad is much better and has great sensitivity in the buttons...Spend the extra dough on the MS pad unless you want to let your friends use the Ipad so you can whip em' in the deathmatch modes [​IMG]

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Chalk up another vote for the MS original. My roommate got an interact controller, and it's a piece of junk.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I kind of wished that MS reversed the thumbpad and the stick on the left side, my left hand always hurts when I use it more than 15 minutes or so playing HALO. I have read that the MadCatz one lacks some of the feel feedback as the MS ones and the buttons sound cheap when pressed. Otherwise, I just bought a second MS controller based on the reviews I found and the fact that I needed another one right away. I would of liked to hold out til the Japanese import too, but alas, HALO co-operative beckons!

Jay

8. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

Didn't seem to mind the huge size of the Xbox controllers. I found the controllers very complicated to get used to.

Games did look very good though but those games like Halo were too hard to play.